Thank You for All You Do!

This forum contains news items which might be of interest to tortoise keepers, and announcements about the website and forum matters, as well as providing a place where you can post announcements about upcoming events that are relevant to tortoise keepers.
Oxalis

Thank You for All You Do!

Post by Oxalis » 13 Nov 2019, 20:19

Today is the 10th anniversary for my little Steve and me. Steve and I wanted to extend our thank-you to everyone at The Tortoise Table, for all your hard work in helping to develop the best possible tortoise diet. We are all very grateful and have enjoyed gardening all these years!

I have posted a few of my favorite photos of Steve on Tortoise Forum. Please enjoy: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/happy ... ve.178671/

Best wishes for your 2019 holiday season! :)
Attachments
stevie_noms.jpg
I <3 Stevie, my Russian tortoise!

lin

Re: Thank You for All You Do!

Post by lin » 13 Nov 2019, 20:48

Oh my. That’s a wonderful photo and Steve looks so happy amongst all those fresh weeds to choose from. you have done great for him Oxalis.
Thank you so much for your very kind words. They make us feel so special.
Lin
X

Nina

Post by Nina » 13 Nov 2019, 22:17

And thanks from me too, Mekie! How lovely of you to think of us, and send us such nice compliments. It's been a pleasure to watch Stevie, and his very substantial garden, grow and mature. You can see from his smooth shell what a great life you've given him.
is it snowing yet in MIchigan? It's cold and rainy here, and my Doris and Dolly are well into hibernation mode -- winding down at the moment, and into proper hibernation just under two weeks.

Lots of good wishes to you and Stevie for a lovely Christmas and a sunny 2020!

Nina x

Nina

Post by Nina » 13 Nov 2019, 22:37

Oh my -- I've just looked at your photos on the tortoise forum and they are splendid! Part of it was like going down memory lane, because I remember when Steve was new to you and just finding his feet and exploring, but also there are such lovely photos there. I hadn't seen the 'windmill' position photo, but that is so familiar -- my tortoises do it, and now I know what to call it! And I remember when you told us you were getting married, but I had no idea that you had such a handsome ring bearer -- what a great photo that is. LOL, did Steve walk all the way down the aisle himself or did he have to be helped a bit? Thanks so much for really making my day with your kind words and super pictures.

Nina x

Oxalis

Post by Oxalis » 14 Nov 2019, 03:10

Thanks for the lovely words! I also sent a donation to TTT via Paypal. :D

We went out to dinner tonight to celebrate our anniversary! It is very cold here right now (about -5°C), conveniently after receiving about 7 inches of snow a few days ago. It is supposed to warm up this weekend. We've been enjoying lots of tea to keep warm! That much snow and cold is unusual for this early in the season, but us Michiganders are always prepared for snow. Steve does love his nap time, and he seems to be winding down. I'm sure he's looking forward to hibernation this year.

We didn't take Steve to the conservatory with us for our wedding, but we couldn't resist getting some cute photos of him for our announcements. Here are a few photos: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/rt-ri ... ds.130750/

Cheers!

Nina

Post by Nina » 14 Nov 2019, 09:16

Thank you so much for your donation -- it was really kind of you! You've been one of our most loyal supporters over the years, and we can't thank you enough! A 10th anniversary is an important one, so I've popped a little something in the mail today from all of us to you and Steve, as a small token of our gratitude.

Those photos are super cute! What a lucky fellow Steve is to have found a home with you and your hubby.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a happy hibernation (the hibernation bit is for Steve, not you, but I do sometimes wish that I could just go off and sleep the winter away). :D Doris and Dolly send sleepy Christmas greetings to Steve (they are in the last stages of winding down for hibernation and will soon be tucked up nicely for the winter).

Nina x
[attachment=0]turtsdancing.gif[/attachment]
Attachments
turtsdancing.gif
turtsdancing.gif (71.62 KiB) Viewed 28671 times

Oxalis

Post by Oxalis » 20 Nov 2019, 03:08

Nina, I just received your gift in the mail today. Thank you so much!! That is one adorable Xmas card too! I teared up a little knowing you guys are thinking of us! James (the hubby) says thank you and seasons greetings!

I'm thinking I may use the observation log to try to target train Steve a little (in the warmer weather). :lol: I could go for hibernating through the winter too...
Attachments
215220.jpg
215220.jpg (14.11 KiB) Viewed 28179 times

Nina

Post by Nina » 20 Nov 2019, 09:14

I'm so glad that our little gift reached you OK, and thank you so much again for your donation. I'm not sure what target training is, but if the booklet is useful then that is great!

I love your card, and that is another really strange coincidence. I'm sure that card is by NIcola Allan, who is based in the UK, and a couple of weeks ago I bought another of her cards to send to some friends here for Christmas -- here it is https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/4942179 ... ve_5&frs=1 It's the first time I've seen her cards and lo and behold you have attached another of her cards to your post! That must be some kind of tortoise-loving fate!

I hope that you, James, and Steve have a truly wonderful holiday season and that the sun shines brightly on all of you in 2020!

Nina x

Oxalis

Post by Oxalis » 25 Dec 2019, 19:33

I found this on Google: "Target training is when you teach an animal to touch a predetermined body part to a particular object." Generally you'll use a clicker and treat the animal for positive reinforcement. I've heard that Russians can be trained to do this but I'm thinking it's mostly territorial behavior...

Those are some adorable Etsy cards! The coincidence is so funny; I just picked the cutest image I saw on Google. I'm sure my family expects me to send out Xmas cards just like those. :lol:

Hubby and I are enjoying some quality family time now, and everyone here says happy holidays! :D Steve might get a delicious Mazuri treat later if Santa stopped by.

I hope you're all having a warm and cuddly, tea and blankie, tortoise-filled Xmas!! Hugs!

ArnoldS

Post by ArnoldS » 25 Feb 2020, 08:03

I like tortoises. I have my own, her name is Micron. I appreciate your hard work here. I found much useful information about growing little tortoises. It helps me to do my dissertation abstract.

Nina

Post by Nina » 25 Feb 2020, 08:11

I'm glad that you are finding our site helpful, and do tell us more about your tortoise, but I'm afraid we don't allow links like yours to the 'do my dissertation abstract'. We advise people not to click on that link and we might have to remove the whole post on the chance that the link proves to be harmful (as we are not able to delete that link and leave the rest of your post in situ. I hope you appreciate this.

Best wishes,
Nina