Sandwort

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
TortyPerson2

Sandwort

Post by TortyPerson2 » 23 Sep 2022, 08:23

Hi everybody,

Is sandwort OK for tortoises? I couldnt find it in the database. I have a big dried clump of it that I found in the dunes and I was thinking of putting it in the tortoise table as a hide - would there be a danger if he bit or tried to eat it?

Thanks,

TP

lin

Re: Sandwort

Post by lin » 07 Mar 2024, 22:04

Hi TP.
Do you have a photo you can send in? Sandwort is the common name of several flowering plants And if there isn’t a Latin name then a photo would help us identify the correct plant for you and give advise.

Lin

Ableavoing

Re: Sandwort

Post by Ableavoing » 31 Mar 2024, 09:22

Sandwort, also known as Arenaria, is a type of plant that typically grows in sandy or rocky habitats. While there are different species of sandwort, it is not commonly included in the diet of tortoises or specifically mentioned in their dietary guidelines.