Just Two More :)

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
tmorterlaing

Just Two More :)

Post by tmorterlaing » 12 Nov 2017, 11:05

Hi all, apologies if these are easy but I always want to be super certain as I don't trust my Tortoise's judgement! (Last two attachments :) )
[attachment=0]IMG_0842.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]IMG_0841.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_0842.jpg
IMG_0841.jpg

Nina

Re: Just Two More :)

Post by Nina » 12 Nov 2017, 11:41

Hi! I'm afraid that both of these are 'no feeds'.

The second photo, with the spotted leaves looks like Spotted Laurel (Aucuba japonica). Although we can't find evidence of toxicity, the leaves are leathery and unlikely to be palatable to tortoises, plus it can be confused with other plants that are toxic, so we don't advise feeding (although if you tortoise happened to nibble a leaf it would probably come to no harm. Here is our entry:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... ggxa4hpGM8

The first plant (with the all green leaves) is a garden Euphorbia (just to test it, break a stem in half and see if it has white sap). If it does then this is a very toxic plant to humans and tortoises, because the sap causes severe skin irritation (I ended up in hospital last year as I had pruned some in my garden and then an hour or so later rubbed my eyes with my hands -- so do wear gloves in dealing with it). If it doesn't have white sap it could possibly be something else, but check first. Here is our entry for it: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... ggy5YhpGM8 I know the leaves of some of those don't look like yours, but the second photo in the second row of small photos is, I think, the one you have (it's the one I have in my garden, and before the flowers appear the leaves of mine look similar to yours.

Nina

lin

Re: Just Two More :)

Post by lin » 12 Nov 2017, 11:47

I agree Nina. Was having a little trouble with the euphorbia but I think it’s a Euphorbia amygdaloides variety robbiae, common name Mrs Robb’s bonnet

Lin