Westlands ‘Safelawn’ liquid feed.

Information and advice on how to use this forum, upload photos and report errors.
MamaMicah

Westlands ‘Safelawn’ liquid feed.

Post by MamaMicah » 10 May 2024, 20:47

I have patch sown some seed into my lawn and am considering using Westland’s ‘Safelawn’ liquid feed in a couple of weeks time to give it a boost. It’s marketed as safe for children and pets but was wondering whether it’s def safe for tortoises. Photos attached and any thoughts grateful received.

For context, Horace and Henry are around 80 years old spur-thighed tortoises who have grazed a number of lawns and bulldozed their way through many gardens over their long life!
Attachments
110156eb-6b15-4edd-af32-8579ec360f45.jpeg
62ac9229-a2ec-4db7-a9d1-595720179cf6.jpeg

Nina

Re: Westlands ‘Safelawn’ liquid feed.

Post by Nina » 13 May 2024, 09:02

Hi MamaMicah and thanks so much for your post on Friday (for some reason I wasn't notified that it had been posted, so apologies for the delay).

I'm not completely sure about this fertilizer, but in general we would recommend against feeding tortoises any plant that has been fertilized. One of the main causes for concern is the phosphorous content of any fertilizer. Animals need both calicum and phosphorous for healthy shell and bone, but it is absolutely crucial that the calcium to phosphorous ratio is in the right proportion, and if the phosphorous levels are too high then the consequences for healthy bone and shell development are significant.

You want to aim for a calcium to phosphorous ratio of at least 3 to 1 and preferable higher. By applying a systemic fertilizer that is high in phosphorous (and most fertilizers are high in phosphorous), then the phosphorous content of the grass they eat will be higher and that could significantly affect the tortoise because phosphorous levels that are too high can affect your tortoise's ability to absorb calcium, resulting in brittle bones and softer shells. When labels say that something is 'pet friendly', they are usually talking about mammals, and tortoises have different requirements and vulnerabilities.

With such precious animals as 80 year old tortoises, I would definitely err on the side of caution and not fertilize the grass, especially with a slow release fertilizer like this one, which will have a longer lasting effect. I once fed part of my lawn with some fertilizer (not slow release), but I cordoned off that part for several months before I allowed the tortoises access to it.

If you do decide to use it at all, then I would certainly increase the supplementation of calcium for your tortoises in any case, as they do need high levels of calcium to maintain healthy bone and shell. You can buy pure food grade calcium carbonate powder online, or limestone flour (which is pretty much pure calcium) at places that sell horse feed, etc. I liberally dust leaves that have first been wetted (so that the powder sticks to it) and feed that to my tortoises several times a week.

Nina