Chocolate Vine (Akebia)

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
Stevievee

Chocolate Vine (Akebia)

Post by Stevievee » 01 May 2024, 13:25

Hi,

I have a Chocolate Vine (Akebia) growing over my outdoor run. I can't find anything about this plant on the website. The petals of the flower occasionally drop off into the run. Just checking this is going to be okay.

Thanks
Steve

Nina

Re: Chocolate Vine (Akebia)

Post by Nina » 15 May 2024, 19:08

Hi Steve,

I've just come upon this email and realised that I hadn't responded (I think it came in on my birthday and I had lots on and intended to write in the evening but then forgot, so sorry!). Akebia quinata isn't very toxic as such, but it does contain saponins and some alkaloids and for that reason several sites list it as being toxic to dogs and cats (but they would have to eat a lot to suffer any ill effects). I don't think that the odd petal would cause any problems at all, so not to worry. I have an Akebia quinata in my garden, climbing up a 7' tall 'stump' from an old conifer. I thought it would cover it nicely, but it's such a thug and has covered everything in sight, so I'm considering cutting it down. The flowers are pretty though.

Nina