Chellanthes distans

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
Twobytekitty

Chellanthes distans

Post by Twobytekitty » 08 Nov 2023, 21:08

Hello!

Does anyone know how safe Chellanthes distans is for planting in an enclosure? It is an arid fern species native to Australia.

Thanks for your time! 😁

Nina

Re: Chellanthes distans

Post by Nina » 08 Nov 2023, 22:50

Hi and thanks for contacting us! I didn't know much about this species but have looked at the scientific literature and elsewhere, and I think it is not one to plant in a tortoise enclosure. It contains high levels of dangerous glycosides that affect cattle and sheep, among other animals. Here is some information about it: http://www.flockandherd.net.au/cattle/r ... attle.html Plants containing cardiac glycosides are particularly dangerous (the one most people are familiar with is Foxglove, and we do know of tortoises that have died from eating Foxgloves).

Of course tortoises are reptiles and some reptiles are not affected by some properties that are toxic to mammals, but unfortunately most scientific research concentrates on mammals such as humans, livestock and pets, and so even though I can't find a scientific study regarding Chellanthes distans and reptiles, I would definitely err on the side of caution and not plant this in your tortoise enclosure.

Hope that helps, and please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any questions or problems.

Best wishes,
Nina

Twobytekitty

Re: Chellanthes distans

Post by Twobytekitty » 14 Nov 2023, 09:09

Thank you so much, Nina! This is excellent info & just what I needed!