Mullbery

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
sulcata310

Mullbery

Post by sulcata310 » 24 May 2024, 02:21

We’ve been clipping mulberry branches and putting them in Buddy’s indoor enclosure - both as vittles but also an enrichment activity. It’s different from his winter salad pile. He must move along and negotiate his aim to dine.
My concern is the green stick/branches.
We quickly remove the branch from Buddy’s box when he’s eaten all the leaves. Not sure he would but I’m concerned chewing branches may not be healthy.
Are the green stems that attach the leaves ok for consumption? - cuz he eats those too!
Not woody with bark - but the green twigs that attach leaves to branch. Please advise,

Jasmine

lin

Re: Mullbery

Post by lin » 24 May 2024, 10:50

Hi Jasmine and thanks for contacting us.

Regarding the Mulberry green side shoots and leaf stalks, yes these will be fine and you’re right about the woody stems and bark, it’s better not to offer those and remove once they finish but I always found that the Sulcatas would eat what they could and left the hard stuff. It does do the beaks good while they are testing it out though.
We do have an entry for Mulberry for you to have a look at here.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... nt=257&c=4
Regards
Lin