Is my Hermann's Tortoise Healthy?

Post your pictures and any questions here of European tortoises e.g. Ibera Spur Thigh, Ibera Graeca, Marginated, Hermanns, Kleinmanni and we include the Horsfield tortoise. Also, do add pictures of Mediterranean tortoises you have seen in the wild.
NarRakasa

Is my Hermann's Tortoise Healthy?

Post by NarRakasa » 23 Sep 2023, 00:05

Does my little Pattern's shell look too bumpy? Also, should I hibernate her?
Attachments
Eating_Small.jpg
Narr

Proudly sharing my home with one naughty rescue dog & a Hermann's Tortoise!

Nina

Re: Is my Hermann's Tortoise Healthy?

Post by Nina » 23 Sep 2023, 12:44

Hi and welcome to The Tortoise Table! I must apologise because I've just seen that you posted another message early in September that was never answered (for some reason we weren't notified of it, and I do apologise).

Love her name and she is a very pretty tortoise. Do you know how old she is? So I've seen both photos and although her shell is quite highly domed and a little bumpy it's not terrible and by giving the correct diet and not over-feeding her, you can stop that from being worse and she should be fine.

From what you said in the other post, her diet is good, and she is getting Nutrtobal, so that's great. Does she have another source of calcium (Nutrobal has to be given in small amounts (as per the directions), but you can leave a cuttlefish bone in her enclosure for her to nibble on at will).

The cause of most pyramiding is either over-feeding or feeding the wrong kind of food. You said you are feedng weedds, etc., so that is good, but just make sure you don't overfeed her. You should be aiming at a weight gain on average of between 1g - 3g per month, and if she gains more then you need to cut down on the amount. All she can eat in about 15 - 20 minutes, once a day is a guide, as is enough leaves/flowers etc. that would make a little jacket or blanket to just cover her shell -- but the best guide is to keep a good record of weight.

Regarding hibernation, we usually say that you should have a tortoise for about a year before hibernating. This is because they need to be in the best of health in order to hibernate and it takes a good year before you know them well enough to know if they are off-colour. so if you have only had her a few months then I think I would wait until next year. Do you know if she has hibernated before? I can send you all of the instructions regarding hibernation if you are interested -- just let me know.

Nina

NarRakasa

Post by NarRakasa » 23 Sep 2023, 17:16

Hi Nina,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I've had Pattern for about a year now and she hatched in 2021. I did wonder if she was being over fed a little, I'll adjust that going forward.

Yes, she has accesss to cuttlefish at all times.

She's never been hibernated, and honestly I'm wondering if it'd be better to wait until next year? The thought of hibernating her is a little scary as well, if I'm honest!

I'm just about to upgrade her into her adult table too... I'll post pictures!

Narr
Narr

Nina

Post by Nina » 23 Sep 2023, 22:18

Hi Narr,

I think if she was born in 2021 then it's fine to keep her awake this winter and then think about hibernating her for the first time next year.

It's good to keep a monthly record of weight (just a set of electronic kitchen scales should be fine), and try to weigh her under roughly the same conditions (before or after a bath, just after a poo, etc. -- it's amazing how much weight they can lose in just having a poo :shock: !). 1g - 3g per month is the guide, and it's just an average to aim at, as some months she will gain more and some less. In the wild tortoises tend to live in areas where the summers are hot and dry and plants dry up, so there is lots of competition with other animals for what little greenery is left, and they eat far less then we give them in captivity and grow slowly with smooth shells. This is hard to achieve in captivity, but monitoring growth is a good way to keep growth from occurring too quickly.

Just let us know when you'd like to receive all of the information about hibernation, and I'll send it to you, but in the meantime, she really is lovely and you've given her a good home, so enjoy her company this winter.

Nina

NarRakasa

Post by NarRakasa » 24 Sep 2023, 19:20

Hi Nina,

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your advise, and will, as you suggest, hibernate her next year!

I've put pictures of her new setup in enclosures.

Narr
Narr

Nina

Post by Nina » 24 Sep 2023, 22:36

Just seen the photos and posted a reply -- it's a brilliant set-up. I think you might have a new career as a tortoise table designer!

Nina

NarRakasa wrote:
> Hi Nina,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your advise, and will, as you
> suggest, hibernate her next year!
>
> I've put pictures of her new setup in enclosures.
>
> Narr

NarRakasa

Post by NarRakasa » 25 Sep 2023, 19:41

Being a reptile enclosure designer would actually be my dream job!

[quote=Nina post_id=9252 time=1695591363 user_id=52]
Just seen the photos and posted a reply -- it's a brilliant set-up. I think you might have a new career as a tortoise table designer!

Nina
[/quote]
Narr