Male or Female

Post your pictures and any questions here of European tortoises e.g. Ibera Spur Thigh, Ibera Graeca, Marginated, Hermanns, Kleinmanni and we include the Horsfield tortoise. Also, do add pictures of Mediterranean tortoises you have seen in the wild.
PhilBen

Male or Female

Post by PhilBen » 01 Sep 2023, 14:19

Male or female or just young hormones? Shelly (female) who is about 1 year I found at it with Skippy (female) who is about 1 year. After a couple of quiet days, today they are running around like spring chickens. We caught them truly doing the deed. Is Shelly a Shell He or could it just be young hormones playing up ? :oops:
Phil
New to keeping a Tortoise

lin

Re: Male or Female

Post by lin » 01 Sep 2023, 16:37

Hi Phil.
It’s just a hierarchy/ dominance thing. They will be fine until we know for definite what the sex is.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 01 Sep 2023, 17:01

Hi Phil,

I agree with Lin about it being a dominance thing. My Dolly (who is definitely female) constantly mounts Doris (another female), and there is also lots of head bobbing from Dolly when they sat together. Did you actually see a male organ when they were at it? Lol, you can't miss a male tortoise's penis as it is quite extraordinary. I can give you a link to a video of a male tortoise trying to mate with a rubber ball if you're interested (and not faint hearted).

Nina

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 01 Sep 2023, 17:09

Thanks both of you :lol: :lol:
Phil
New to keeping a Tortoise