The temperature is too high

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
anxdevelopment

The temperature is too high

Post by anxdevelopment » 10 May 2024, 07:44

My little horsefield male 3yrs old has been with me now for over a year , whilst weeds have been in short supply through the long winter he s been feeding mainly on lambs lettuce and some suitable salad leaves .
He s now getting some helpings of plantain, navelwort and a few dandelion leaves. His poos have been plentiful and his wee is the right consistency.
Yesterday i notice some undigested weed fibres sticking out of him bottom, about 2 inch trailing behind him. Giving him several warm baths to try and help but I m wondering if his temperatures aren't high enough or the uvb level has reduced, will this make his digestion not as effective is it should be. Going to buy a replacement bulb today but just thought I d ask the question anyway
Thanks

lin

Re: The temperature is too high

Post by lin » 10 May 2024, 14:06

Hiya, sorry I don’t know your name but welcome and thanks for contacting us.
The best way to check if temperature is correct is to check it directly under the hot spot and again in the cool area and log those temperatures and the best thermometer to use is either a digital gun type or the digital min/max probe like this one in the link.
https://tinyurl.com/59ppdmvy
And place the probe approx the same height as tortoises shell for an accurate reading. Those small round gauges that stick in the wall is no good and the reading will be very different than under the light.
How long have you been using the uvb lamp? Depending on what type it is they can last up to a year, give or take. temperature Tortoises need to bask and absorb uvb to aid digestion so it will make a difference if the correct amount isn’t absorbed.

Would you send in a photo of your setup so we can see the whole thing and maybe we could make some suggestions in some tweaks on how to adjust if it’s needed.
Look forward to hearing back.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 10 May 2024, 22:53

Hi from me too!
Lin has addressed the temperature issue, but I thought I'd just comment on the undigested plant fibres. As far as I know that is perfectly normal. My Horsfields have taken a liking to grass lately and they often have a thin piece of undigested grass coming out of their bottoms.

Also, when I feed them Testudo Pre Alpin, which is the only commerical food I would ever give them as it is just pure Alpine wildflowers and grasses, their poos look like little bullet shaped packages of fibres, rather than the more solid dark brown poos we usually see from our tortoises, and the Tortoise Trust said that poos of tortoises fed on Testudo Pre Alpin look just like the poos of wild tortoises, which is a very good thing. The digestive system of a tortoise is designed to work very slowly and fibrous plants are perfect for that. The reason we don't recommend feeding too many salad leaves (although sometimes there is no other option), is because they are classified as 'wet' foods that go through the digestive system too quickly, and the tortoise doesn't absorb as much nourishment from them. So I think your tortoise is just processing his healthier summer diet in the normal way and you needn't have any concerns

Nina

floridareptileshome

Post by floridareptileshome » 12 May 2024, 04:09

https://floridareptileshome.com/adult-greek-tortoise/
Do you want to add an Adult Greek Tortoise to your family? These interesting critters make excellent pets and can live for more than 50 years if properly cared for. They do, however, greek tortoise for sale , have specific requirements that must be satisfied in order for them to survive. This article will teach you all you need to know about caring for an Adult Greek Tortoise, including its diet, habitat needs, and behaviour.

Diet
Adult Greek tortoises are herbivores who require a high fibre, vitamin, and mineral diet. A high-protein or high-fat diet can contribute to health concerns such as obesity and renal disease. An Adult Greek Tortoise’s diet should include the following foods:

Kale, collard greens, and dandelion greens are examples of dark, leafy greens.

Carrots, sweet potatoes, and squash are examples of vegetables.

Strawberries, blueberries, and apples should be consumed in moderation.

Calcium supplementation may aid in the prevention of metabolic bone disease.

Toxic plants, such as rhubarb or avocado, should not be fed to your Adult Greek Tortoise since they can be lethal.

Requirements For Habitat
Adult Greek tortoises need a large outdoor enclosure with plenty of space to explore. They require access to both sunlight and shade, as well as a sheltered spot where they can escape during severe weather. The enclosure should be secure and safe from predators like dogs and raccoons.

Adult Greek Tortoises require an indoor habitat in addition to a huge outdoor enclosure for sleeping and shelter. During the day, the inside enclosure should be heated to 75-85 degrees Fahrenheit, and no lower than 65 degrees Fahrenheit at night. A UVB light should also be installed in the cage to assist your turtle in producing vitamin D3, which is required for calcium absorption.

Behavior
Adult Greek tortoises are well-known for being docile and sociable. They enjoy interacting with people and can even learn to recognise their owners. They do, however, exhibit some behavioural characteristics that you should be aware of. They are notorious for their stubbornness, for example, and may refuse to move if they do not want to. They are also known for digging and may attempt to escape if they feel trapped.

It is critical to provide enough of mental stimulation and enrichment for your Adult Greek Tortoise. This can involve giving them toys like puzzle feeders and providing them with a variety and intriguing environment to explore.

Lifespan
Adult Greek tortoises have a lengthy lifespan, with some individuals living in the wild for more than 100 years. They can survive in captivity for up to 50 years or more if properly cared for. Owning an Adult Greek Tortoise is a long-term commitment, greek tortoise price, and you should be prepared to care for your pet for many decades.

Health Issues
Adult Greek Tortoises, like any animals, can suffer from a number of health issues. Adult Greek Tortoises’ most common health issues include respiratory infections, shell rot, and metabolic bone disease. It is critical to keep a close eye on your tortoise’s health and seek medical attention if you see any signs of disease or damage.

Considerations Legal
Owning an Adult Greek Tortoise may necessitate a permit or licence in some locations. Before obtaining a tortoise, it is critical to check the rules in your area to verify that you are in compliance with any regulations.

Where Can I Purchase an Adult Greek Tortoise?

If you want to acquire an Adult Greek Tortoise, you should do it from a reputable breeder or pet store. Avoid buying from internet markets or from people who lack proper documentation or authorization. Adult Greek Tortoises can be pricey, so be prepared to invest a large amount of money.

Conclusion
Being the owner of an Adult Greek Tortoise can be a pleasant and enriching experience. These intriguing critters make excellent pets, but they do require special care. You can guarantee that your tortoise lives a long and happy life by giving a good diet, a proper habitat, and plenty of enrichment. An Adult Greek Tortoise can become a treasured member of your family for many years with proper care and attention.

Q: What size enclosure is required for an adult Greek tortoise?

A spacious outdoor habitat, at least 8 feet by 4 feet, with a covered area and access to both sun and shade is required for an adult Greek tortoise. They also need an inside enclosure for sleeping and protection.

Q: Do adult Greek tortoises sleep?

A: Adult Greek Tortoises do indeed hibernate in the wild. However, allowing captive tortoises to hibernate is not encouraged because it might be harmful to their health.

Q: What should I do if my tortoise refuses to eat?

A: If your tortoise isn’t eating, it could be due to illness or stress. It is critical to regularly watch your tortoise and get medical assistance if you observe any changes.
Attachments
image_2024-05-11_200953084.png