Help. My tortoise is eating rocks.

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Mama Meg

Help. My tortoise is eating rocks.

Post by Mama Meg » 27 Mar 2024, 17:23

Hello,
First time posting here. My sulcata tortoise, who is 11 years old, has started eating rocks from my backyard. My backyard is covered in landscape rocks. I have noticed the rocks in her stool twice now. I'm worried they will get lodged in her digestive system but also worried about why she is suddenly eating them. Do you know anything about this and what I can do to help her? Thank you in advance

lin

Re: Help. My tortoise is eating rocks.

Post by lin » 27 Mar 2024, 19:28

Hi Meg.
Can you tell if the rocks are light coloured or white. Most tortoises eat almost white stones and that is thought it’s because they think it’s calcium or lump chalk, if that’s the case it would be a good idea to get some and leave it around the ground or a closure and he may start eating that and it’s good for him. https://amzn.eu/d/gkasYVb. I think this is also available from horse supplies farms and it might be cheaper.
Or the Cuttle Fish bone that can be found on the beach or places that sell bird supplies, it’s the white things you give to birds for cleaning their beak.
How big are these rocks Meg.
I have always thought of it as ‘if it fits going in, it must fit passing out too’.

Another option is to remove all those small enough to be eaten, and only leave the bigger pebbles there that won’t fit into the mouth.

Lin

Arownevally

Post by Arownevally » 29 Mar 2024, 09:24

The biggest concern is definitely the rocks getting stuck in her digestive system. It might be best to remove the landscape rocks from your yard or create a designated rock-free area for her to roam.
Arownevally

basket random

samantha

Post by samantha » 26 Apr 2024, 08:22

In my opinion, eating rocks could be a sign they're not getting enough calcium in their diet. You should changes to your tortoise's diet to ensure they're getting enough calcium.