Is my tortoise's shell ok?

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
frankspringer

Is my tortoise's shell ok?

Post by frankspringer » 25 Jan 2024, 08:07

Hello,
I want to know if my turtle is sick, is it due to shell rot or something else. I've raised her since she was just hatched. Now, she 's 15 years old. She ate once every 2 days, 2 carrots, some lettuce, some white toppings. fish, gammarus and crickets, rarely, once every 2-3 weeks I give her 2 slices of banana or tomato.
Last month, the white spots appeared on her shell. At first I thought they were minerals, because they are white, I can smell them. I'm quite scared for her health. I can't really afford to go to the vet right now, will most likely take her in December last year.
But, I'd also like to know your opinion.

Nina

Re: Is my tortoise's shell ok?

Post by Nina » 25 Jan 2024, 08:31

Hi and welcome to The Tortoise Table,

I can understand why you are wrorried. Can you tell us what species your turtle is? Is it a land animal (tortoise), or does it live partly in water (turtle)? If you can send us a photo of her, showing all of her, and also a close-up photo of the white spots then we will try to help you, but without knowing what species it is, and seeing these spots it is very difficult for us.

Photos need to be reduced in size before you can upload them, and if you have problems you can send the photos to me at nina@thetortoisetable.org.uk and I will upload them for you.

Nina