substrate query

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Emma&Kimchi

substrate query

Post by Emma&Kimchi » 15 Nov 2023, 13:12

Hi!

I am wondering how damp the substrate should be within a tortoise table? I've just switched to a soil mix and I know it should be sprayed so it is not dusty, but when I opened the bag of soil it is actually quite damp. Is being a bit damp ok - I know that is there is too much moisture then this can lead to respiratory and other issues? So I am wondering what the balance is between preventing dust and on the other hand not letting things get too damp. Any advice much appreciated, thank you!

Emma

Nina

Re: substrate query

Post by Nina » 15 Nov 2023, 13:36

Hi Emma,

It does depend a bit on the species, but Horsfields like it pretty dry. The thing is that indoors the lights are very drying, and so it's recommended that the substrate be kept just the tiniest bit damp -- not at all wet. It should be that if you have some substrate in your hand, and clench your fist, it should just about to start clumping together, whereas if it were completely dry it would just stay dry and not clump together at all. I have most of my enclosure a teeny bit damp, as described above, but I keep one area pretty dry, so that they can choose.

Nina

Emma&Kimchi

Post by Emma&Kimchi » 15 Nov 2023, 13:56

Yes, that sounds fine. If you can make the area where he sleeps a little drier that would be good, because although Horsfields are fine with warm and wet, they don't like cold and wet, and of course the temperature will drop in the night, although from what you described I don't think there should be a problem though.

Nina
P.S. Oops! When I uploaded this message I somehow deleted your message that I was responding to -- really sorry, Emma!

Emma&Kimchi

Post by Emma&Kimchi » 15 Nov 2023, 16:25

That's ok! Thanks so much Nina, so glad I can come to you for advice! appreciate it.