How long without uva/uvb?

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
TortyPerson2

How long without uva/uvb?

Post by TortyPerson2 » 07 Apr 2024, 10:19

Hello everybody,

So we've just done a huge spring clean of Gonzales' (9 year old med spur thigh) tortoise table, replacing substrate and rocks/logs/plants and even hoovering underneath it :D

Unfortunately in our enthusiasm we seem to have damaged both of his basking bulbs as they no longer work and so now he has zero uva/uvb and he can't go outside in his outdoor enclosure at all due to the tail end of Storm Kathleen here in Ireland.

Do I need to go to town and get him replacement bulbs today or can we wait until Tuesday (1.5 days from now) when we will be going in anyway?

Also gonna tack another question onto this one - what do we do with his old topsoil? can we put it in the compost heap or garden?

Thanks,

TP

lin

Re: How long without uva/uvb?

Post by lin » 07 Apr 2024, 22:30

It will be fine to wait until Tuesday TP.
You shouldn’t spring clean to vigorously 😂
Lin

TortyPerson2

Post by TortyPerson2 » 08 Apr 2024, 07:38

Thanks Lin 😊

Nina

Post by Nina » 08 Apr 2024, 11:10

Hi TP,

Re your last question about getting rid of substrate -- it's fine to put on your garden or compost heap. I also save the little poos that I collect when I spot clean and put them on my garden too (lol, extra high quality fertilizer).

Nina