New Outdoor House - Setup Help!!

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
MortTheTort

New Outdoor House - Setup Help!!

Post by MortTheTort » 25 Mar 2024, 18:58

I've recently had a new tortoise house made, and I'm looking for advice as to how to set it up inside.

My spur-thighed tort has free access to a safe and secure garden, but this will be her house overnight and where she can go for warmth during cooler days. It's insulated inside the walls, so will hopefully hold the heat well.

I've got a basking lamp in a dome to secure to the ceiling somewhere (as this doesn't have UV, can I just lower it until it reaches the right temp?), along with a Reptirad radiator which I'll connect to a thermostat (apparently this should go on the ceiling but I'm wondering if it could go on the wall instead). I also bought a UV strip lamp which I was intending to install for the cooler months as she's winding down in the autumn, but I've since been told this isn't necessary if she is going outside.

I'm unsure as to where (and how!) I should locate these items, along with whether I should have a corner with bedding of some sort for her to sleep in. I inherited her from a well-meaning but poorly-informed relative; she has previously been used to sleeping in a bed of straw but I won't continue with that as it's not a good combination with a basking lamp! I've got fine grade orchid bark for the substrate; should this cover the entire floor of the house? If bedding isn't recommended, should I pile it up in a deeper pile for her to burrow into to sleep?

Finally, I was told somewhere that I would need ambient lighting, but I've since heard that this isn't necessary with the basking bulb and/or the fact that she will be able to go outside?

Apologies for all the questions; any advice at all would be really appreciated. I had previously been using a heated greenhouse as her house, but I hope this will be a much-needed upgrade for her this year. I've included a couple of photos of the empty house.

[attachment=0]20240325_133740 small.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]20240325_133740 small.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]20240325_133740 small.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20240325_133740 small.jpg
20240325_133732 small.jpg
20240325_133722 small.jpg

lin

Re: New Outdoor House - Setup Help!!

Post by lin » 26 Mar 2024, 00:07

Hi Mort

I wonder if you could send in a photo of the whole setup from the side with something for size comparison, and also if I can see photos or links of the things you are going to place inside I will also be able to advise on where to locate them. I just can’t seem to place what I am seeing from these photos so maybe they are too close.
I do look forward to your reply and I apologise for taking so long to answer you.
I would love to see the tortoise too if you care to share.

Lin