woodlice

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
PhilBen

woodlice

Post by PhilBen » 22 Oct 2023, 20:00

Hi All,
What are peoples views on adding woodlice to a tortoise table. People say its good and helps keep the substrate clean. They also eat fungus gnat eggs. Are there any downsides with them?

Also what about Nematodes?
https://www.greengardener.co.uk/product ... nematodes/
Phil
New to keeping a Tortoise

Nina

Re: woodlice

Post by Nina » 22 Oct 2023, 22:16

The only downside I can think of is that tortoises will eat them (well, mine will anyway). If my Doris sees a woodlouse in her outdoor enclosure she practically leap up in the air and pounces on it (but that could just be mine). Mine torts also eat slugs, which is horrible, and really they should stick to a vegetarian diet, so I try to avoid putting them in contact with slugs and woodlice, but outdoors that is impossible -- but see what others say. Also, how would you keep them inside the table? in my garden I see woodlice climbing up my walls, so I don't know if they would climb up the walls of a table. It would be interesting to experiment with them though, and if you do then let us know how you get on.

Nina

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 22 Oct 2023, 22:52

Hi Nina, from what i have seen as long as you provide a good environment for them they wont wonder out the table. Also there is harmless treatment called Mosquito Bits. Its a naturally occurring bacterium that acts as a species-specific larvicide. The yellow cards then get rid of the adults. ?
Phil

lin

Post by lin » 22 Oct 2023, 23:23

Hi Phil
As far as I am aware isopods are used as a clean up crew, eating dead vegetation and the fungus gnat eggs. Yes, a tortoise will most probably eat them if they come across any and even get some excercise whilst hunting for them but I wouldn’t overdo then or use as a food because as we know they do contain protein and not much calcium. They are better suited to the indoor enclosures if redfoots and boxies because of the raised humidity they need.
As Nina says, put it to the test and put a few in the enclosure, not as a food but to see if your tortoises find them interesting.
As for the yucky nematodes! It’s not something I could hardly, the thought is to much. :lol: However, if in the garden there isn’t too much you can do to prevent it happening.

Lin

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 23 Oct 2023, 16:19

I done my last hoover up then topped up with top soil added about 20 wood lice to their 5 star accommodation. Shelly and Skippy so far leave them alone. The lice home is under the top floor. Will update shortly
Attachments
IMG_20231023_161604.jpg
Phil

Nina

Post by Nina » 23 Oct 2023, 22:06

Such an interesting experiment -- looking forward to the results!

Nina

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 30 Oct 2023, 14:57

Well the gnats are still around. However i went into a decent pet shop today who keep tortoise. They said the best and easiest way is when you give your tortoises a bath. Pour boiling hot water over some of the soil. do a different bit each time. it kills the eggs !!!
Phil

Nina

Post by Nina » 30 Oct 2023, 22:09

Yes, I think the boiling water should help, but be sure you aren't left with a substrate that is too wet for tortoises -- especially if it gets cool or cold at night, because tortoises are fine with warm and wet but they really don't do well if it is cold and wet (you want the substrate to be no more than just barely moist.

I have found that the little sticky strips that I hang above the area where the fungus gnats are work perfectly well. It can take up to several weeks, but the strips catch the adults after they hatch and fly upwards, so that there are no adults left to lay any more eggs, and then the area is gnat free.

Nina

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 31 Oct 2023, 05:09

Thanks Nina,
I will have to have a think. My main concerns are keeping the girls healthy. So perhaps that should be part of the solution and do it when needing to add water anyway. Rather than a full solution ?
Phil

Nina

Post by Nina » 31 Oct 2023, 13:56

Well, the fungus gnats aren't going to do the girls any harm, they're just a nuisance to people, but not harmful in any way (except to maybe very young seedlings of plants where they might nibble on the tender roots -- but to ordinary plants they do no harm). The thing is that unless you have an absolutely dry substrate with no plants in it then they will come back, attracted by the moisture. Have you tried the sticky strips? It does take a couple of week to catch them all, but I use them all of the time and have no problems with fungus gnats, and if they do come back then I just make sure the sticky strips are in place and then they're gone.

Nina

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 01 Nov 2023, 11:04

Yes I now have the paper and the strips you use. I think they have depleted quite a bit, like you said they are annoying little things
Phil