Trucks Enclosure so far

Use this forum to discuss any aspect of tortoise housing and enclosures. Upload and show pictures of your set ups (enclosures).
Anandita

Trucks Enclosure so far

Post by Anandita » 27 Jul 2023, 20:11

Here's Trucks enclosure so far, waiting for some tortoise friendly carex and other plants to arrive and the cold frame my dad should finish this week will be added at one end on paving slabs with a ramp into it but with topsoil for bedding.
Just got to add a few more things like a better bath area with stones, I've got a large slate for feeding and will probably extend it more. Just wanted to get Truck outside asap to enjoy the sun whenever that may be 😂
Attachments
IMG-20230727-WA0003.jpeg

lin

Re: Trucks Enclosure so far

Post by lin » 27 Jul 2023, 23:46

I think you got it right saying about the sun, whenever we get it! It’s being a bit slow this year but I hope we get a bit more than the week or two we had last month.
I think Trucks enclosure is looking great and you will have one happy tortoise when he gets to try it out and it might be a good idea to get the cold frame filled with central heating :lol: :lol: :lol:
Photos when Truck has his first test run.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 28 Jul 2023, 09:46

I agree with Lin -- that is looking brilliant, and I'm sure Truck will love it!

Just one little thing, and it's a compliment. I noticed that you've got the log roll with the finished side (the side without the two rows of wires that hold the sticks together) facing inwards. Lots of people have the finished side facing outwards so that the enclosure looks nice when you approach it. I use log roll and once put it with the nice side facing outwards, and I have a photo of my Dolly inside the enclosure, using those wires to hold on to with her claws and then using that to climb up, over, and out. I don't know how to reduce the video in size, but it's amazing to watch her just managing to use those little wires as a ladder to escape!

Nina

Anandita

Post by Anandita » 28 Jul 2023, 13:43

Thank you 😊 I read somewhere to use the wood roll that way as they can escape and I've seen photos of tortoises scaling trees, the little escape artists lol!
We had a test run this morning for a couple of hours as it is quite humid here but still no sun and Truck looked like he thoroughly enjoyed himself. First he walked the perimeter looking for weaknesses in the fence I assume lol, then munched on every plant in there, went through the tunnel, went over the tunnel, under the stick, ate some more, had a dig in the flower pot, ate some more and carried on exploring 😊 We brought him in and put on a warm bath then back under his light, is this ok to do? I don't think he was too happy to come in lol. I'll try and add some photos