Help ID this weed

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in countries outside the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Anjarys

Help ID this weed

Post by Anjarys » 24 Oct 2023, 15:02

Hi, i live in south east asia. These weeds grow in watery area. Are they safe for sulcata?
Tried google lens, they are called Limnophila aromatica.

Thanks!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1698154250536.jpg

Nina

Re: Help ID this weed

Post by Nina » 24 Oct 2023, 17:59

Hi Anjarys, and welcome to The Tortoise Table.

I've had a look at the scientific literature on limnophila aromatica, and it seems to be non-toxic, but it does contain oxalates (although the levels of oxalates in it aren't super high). We usually recommend avoiding all plants with oxalates as they bind with calcium in the tortoise's diet and prevent the tortoise from absorbing and using that calcium (and of course tortoises need lots of calcium to support all of that growing shell and bone).

If you do feed Limnophila then I would feed it in smallish quantities, to be on the safe side, and I would feed it fresh and not dried, as this study showed that drying limnophila aromatica produced higher quantities of oxalates per weight of plant. https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 020-2703-6 . And I would always provide an extra source of calcium (either pure food grade calcium carbonate powder that you can sprinkle on food, or a cuttlefish bone left in the tortoise's enclosure so that he can nibble on it at will). Also be sure that the Limnophila is growing in clean water, as many plants take up pollutants like heavy metals if they are growing in water contaminated with them.

As I'm sure you know, Sulcatas should have a diet composed of at least 70% of various grasses, and then the remaining percentage can be composed of other plants. I hope this is possible for you.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions, and if you have a photo of your Sulcata, we'd love to see it (we never get tired of looking at photos of lovely tortoises!). :)

Nina

Anjarys

Post by Anjarys » 25 Oct 2023, 01:05

Hi there, Nina.

Such resourceful explanation. Yes, some people do mixed it in very small portion. But if it comes with oxalate then i will surely avoid it.

Thank you for being helpful 🤩

Anjarys

Post by Anjarys » 25 Oct 2023, 04:14

Nina wrote:
> Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions, and if
> you have a photo of your Sulcata, we'd love to see it (we never get tired
> of looking at photos of lovely tortoises!). :)
>
> Nina

Meet Momon and mimin, solar powered mini grass muncher 😅
Attachments
ResizedImage_2023-10-25_10-12-06_1.jpg

Nina

Post by Nina » 25 Oct 2023, 09:15

I think a tiny bit mixed in with other food would do no harm, as it is not super high in oxalates, but it is sometimes better to be cautious and avoid any problems. Oh my goodness, what gorgeous little tortoises Momon and Mimin are! And it looks like they are living in a wonderful environment too.

Where in Southeast Asia do you live? Here, in the UK, we don't have a good climate for most species of tortoise, because it gets so cold and rainy during the winter, so if you have a non-hibernating species then it can cost a lot of money to keep a room heated up to the right temperature for them over the winter. My Doris and Dolly are Horsfield tortoises, and they hibernate for about 13 or 14 weeks in the winter, but they still have to be inside for part of the time when the weather is still cold. Here is a photo of them, and they send their regards to Momon and Mimin.

Nina
[attachment=0]m_DSC01015.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
m_DSC01015.jpg

Anjarys

Post by Anjarys » 25 Oct 2023, 13:50

Oh hi, Doris and Dolly! Beautiful russian tortoise and i love to see them when they stretch their legs. It just cute 😍

I live in Indonesia, where its hot and humid even on rainy season there still a lot of sun light and be my main reason to keep sulcatas and probably a hermanni, too 😅

Nina

Post by Nina » 25 Oct 2023, 20:22

I do envy you having all that sunshine and UVB for your tortoises! We have to provide UVB lights because of our climate, but also we are so far north that the UVB that does reach us is not as strong as it is further south.

Do you have your Hermanni yet? Are people breeding tortoises in Indonesia, or are they imported? We have an increasing number of breeders here, and it's nice because in addition to knowing that your tortoise didn't undergo any stress during importation, you might also have the chance to meet your tortoise's parents!

Nina

Anjarys

Post by Anjarys » 26 Oct 2023, 03:36

I cant really assume they're captive breed or imported since the sellers dont mention it, especially if it goes with hermanni. But if it is sulcata (and non mediteranean species), it is common to find CB or Captive Breed label on what they're selling.

And yes, according to the seller i bought my first two tortoises, there is one city that has massive number of breeders and one of them is where he gets tortoises. Maybe because the climate on that city is good for breeding? IDK but it is for sure hotter and more humid than any other cities.