Hylocereus flower

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in countries outside the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Graham Ray

Hylocereus flower

Post by Graham Ray » 12 Sep 2020, 11:20

:shock: .
Hylocereus flower came out today. Already dying
So imagine thats it . Fruit should rippen in 4 weeks .
Fantastic flower i waited 10 years for .

The plant is excellent for tortoises to eat and the fruit is excellent . Can be bought in M&S in UK occasionally . Worth growing in a greenhouse i would suspect .
Excellent result for me 👍👍👍

Nina

Re: Hylocereus flower

Post by Nina » 12 Sep 2020, 12:09

Wow, truly an excellent result! You must be over the moon. Did you take a photo of the flower? If so, then we'd love to use it in our entry for the plant: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... 1yrxovTW9s

Yes, it's true those flowers don't last a long time (lol, it's not called the 'night-blooming cactus' for nothing), but how lovely to see them when they are there, and what a nice reward for all your years of looking after this plant.

Nina

sindi21

Post by sindi21 » 08 Oct 2020, 00:12

Nina wrote:
> Wow, truly an excellent result! You must be over the moon. Did you take a
> photo of the flower? If so, then we'd love to use it in our entry for the
> plant:
> https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... 1yrxovTW9s
>
> Yes, it's true those flowers don't last a long time (lol, it's not called
> the 'night-blooming cactus' for nothing), but how lovely to see them when
> they are there, and what a nice reward for all your years of looking after
> this plant.
>
> Nina

still
that’s a pretty short life span for a plant, if you ask me
If you want to find someone to pay to write essay I think that you should look closer at this awesome service.

Nina

Post by Nina » 08 Oct 2020, 10:25

sindi21 wrote:
> still that’s a pretty short life span for a plant, if you ask me

Well, the flower does only last a day or so, but the plant itself lives for years and years, and just produces these short-lived flowers each year. For some reason, quite a few plants have flowers that last only a day -- for example Day Lilies (Hemerocallis). They don't, of course, flower for our benefit, but I agree it would be nicer for us if the flowers lasted longer.

Nina