Mushroom ID

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in countries outside the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
EMD

Mushroom ID

Post by EMD » 18 Jun 2020, 15:27

https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/sit ... ew&id=1779

Can anyone help me ID this mushroom. I found my Redfoot munching on it this morning. She seems ok and is eating her normal breakfast now. I called my vet's office, but the one doctor who see reptiles won't be in until Saturday.
Attachments
Mushroom.jpg

Nina

Re: Mushroom ID

Post by Nina » 19 Jun 2020, 21:40

So sorry that I have only just seen this (our notification system seems to have gone down. I'm afraid that I am really no good at IDing fungi -- there are so many that look similar. I do have a fungi identification book, but it is for the UK, and your post is in the 'Plants from Outside the UK' section. If you can you tell me what country you live in I'll do my best to look it up.

Fortunately, tortoises can eat many plants that would otherwise be toxic to mammals -- this is because of their very slow digestive system. The digetive system of Redfoots is faster than that of Mediterranean tortoises though, but I think the same principal would still apply. I would give her lots of soaks in warm water and try to get as much liquid in her as possible to try and flush it through.

So sorry for the late response, and I hope your tortoise comes through this OK. Please let us know.

Nina

EMD wrote:
>
> https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/sit ... ew&id=1779
>
> Can anyone help me ID this mushroom. I found my Redfoot munching on it this
> morning. She seems ok and is eating her normal breakfast now. I called my
> vet's office, but the one doctor who see reptiles won't be in until
> Saturday.