Is this actually a Sansevieria?

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in countries outside the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Oxalis

Is this actually a Sansevieria?

Post by Oxalis » 19 Jul 2017, 20:44

Hello again, friends! Is there anyway to tell the genus/species of this plant? I inherited it from my old job, when someone left the poor thing behind when moving cubicles. It did poorly in the office without sunshine, so I brought it home, re-potted it and placed it near the window, and it's much happier now. It's grew a ton right away but seems to have plateaued, maybe because it would like a larger pot?

Cheers! :D

[attachment=0]snake_plant.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
snake_plant.jpg
I <3 Stevie, my Russian tortoise!

lin

Re: Is this actually a Sansevieria?

Post by lin » 19 Jul 2017, 22:32

It looks like you could pot it up but only a slightly larger pot as they do like to be pot bound. There are also a type of Sansevieria called Birds Nest Sansevieria that grow with shorter leaves and are formed into a plate shape rather than the upright leaves we know.
They are lovely plants and survive with the minimum of care and yours looks nice and healthy so well done for the rescue mission.
If you go to the database listed above you can type in Sansevieria as I dont think this link will work.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... ia&x=0&y=0

If you need any more info then please do get back and we will be pleased to help.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 19 Jul 2017, 22:34

Hi Mekie -- great to hear from you. It certainly looks like Sansevieria to me. There are some lovely varieties -- I have a Sansevieria cylindrica -- it's a species where the leaves have sort of curled around and fused, vertically, so that the leaves are actually completely closed tubes that are pointed at the top. We have a photo of one (it's the last photo) in our entry for Sansevieria.

Nina
P.S. Thanks so much for your email, which I will respond to soon (it's been a difficult week for me -- will tell you why when I reply to the email).
P.P.S -- Oops, just seen that Lin has responded too!

Oxalis

Post by Oxalis » 09 Aug 2017, 05:04

Thank you both for the lovely responses! :) I was surprised that the little guy was so distraught with little sunshine; I thought the Sansevieria didn't mind low light levels. But he did almost die so I guess every species is different. He does kind of look like the bird's nest variety. The cylindrica looks nice too. I think my interest in these little guys is slowly growing! :lol:

Sorry for the delayed response; I'm not sure where July went! I think I spent most of it trying to stay cool and in the shade! Hope all is well! :)
I <3 Stevie, my Russian tortoise!