Wollemi Pine

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in countries outside the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Heather

Wollemi Pine

Post by Heather » 27 Jun 2019, 15:30

Hi,

Is this, my latest treasure, safe for the tortoise garden? This is a baby one, so a couple of fronds at beak height. I can't imagine Achillea nibbling it, but best safe than sorry.....

I can stand it on a stone or upturned pot if necessary

Heather

Nina

Re: Wollemi Pine

Post by Nina » 27 Jun 2019, 17:09

Oh wow, I'd love a Wollemi Pine -- your own fossil tree! Achillea shouldn't want to eat it as the needles are high in tannins and fairly bitter to the taste (here is our entry for pine https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... RTpUY97m9s but you really can't predict what they will eat. I was told that I could have a Rosemary in a pot in the tortoise table for decoration and the strong taste would put my Doris off, but on the first afternoon she knocked the pot over and demolished the whole plant. So I would definitely stand it on a stone or an upturned pot, just in case, as it's a special tree and you don't want to lose it.

Nina