Shrub with Red Leaves and White Flowers

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in countries outside the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Oxalis

Shrub with Red Leaves and White Flowers

Post by Oxalis » 03 Jun 2019, 23:20

A family member has a shrub with red leaves and white flowers that I'm looking for help identifying. We waited for it to flower this spring in the hope that this would help to ID it. It appears to be an ornamental shrub currently around 5 feet tall. It is currently growing on the west side of the house somewhat under the porch overhang, so it receives mostly full afternoon sun, lots of rainwater from the roof, and seems to be growing well in probably less-than-ideal soil. If it is a plant that doesn't mind relocation, we're hoping to move it for a porch renovation. Any ideas?

Sorry the leaves picture is a little blurry!
Attachments
IMG_8485.jpg
IMG_8484.jpg
I <3 Stevie, my Russian tortoise!

lin

Re: Shrub with Red Leaves and White Flowers

Post by lin » 03 Jun 2019, 23:49

Hmm. I'm wondering if this is a purple leaf Flowering Plum. Have a look at our entry and compare Oxalis.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... nt=596&c=4
It should be fine to transplant though if you lift a large enough rootball and spend plenty of time watering it into the new area.

Lin

Oxalis

Post by Oxalis » 04 Jun 2019, 02:50

It sure does look like a dwarf purple leaf plum or sandcherry. Thanks so much!!

As I inform my mom of this find, she wonders what this new plant is.
Attachments
581295045.jpg

lin

Post by lin » 04 Jun 2019, 18:04

Hiya Oxalis.
I would say this is Burdock but to be 100% sure I would like a photo when it has grown a bit more. It could also be Honesty so it would be best if we waited a while. Can you ask Mum if this has kind of a fuzzy feel to it and how big the leaves are, a hand for comparisom would be ideal?

Lin

Oxalis

Post by Oxalis » 05 Jun 2019, 23:35

Thanks, Lin. I will ask her. It does look like burdock, but most of the burdock leaves I've seen seem to have a darker green tint. If you look closely at the picture I posted, you may be able to see a foot near the bottom right corner, so it looks like a pretty big plant.

lin

Post by lin » 06 Jun 2019, 11:50

Yes, leaf colour will probably bepend on species and the growing conditions Oxalis.

Lin

Oxalis

Post by Oxalis » 09 Jul 2019, 23:16

I see. Thanks again for all your hard work!! :D You're very much appreciated here in the states!