White nettle? Also Something else

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
howsons

White nettle? Also Something else

Post by howsons » 02 Nov 2020, 16:11

Hiya

Please can I have an ID of the left one.. It was near woody verge and water. Also the nettle is that normal nettle or white nettle? There were no flowers but you can see these on it....I tried to rub and didn't seem to sting my thumb.. Though I think I'm hardy now 🤣
Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot_20201102-160918.png

howsons

Re: White nettle? Also Something else

Post by howsons » 02 Nov 2020, 16:32

Sorry this one please too, or is slightly furry. It's all dot leaves and creeping buttercup round here 😭

Thanks
Suzanne
Attachments
Screenshot_20201102-161406~2.png

lin

Post by lin » 02 Nov 2020, 17:33

Hi Suzanne.
The photo with two plants looks like Alexanders. Compare with this before feeding.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... nt=437&c=6
Yes, its possible the other one is White deadnettle If it didnt sting, then I would say yes it is and ok to feed.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... nt=774&c=6
The photo with the single plant with long slender leaves is Dock and thats a no feed.

Hope that is helpful and if you find anymore your unsure of Suzanne, just post them.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 02 Nov 2020, 17:42

Hi Suzanne,

It was good that Lin could ID these, because it is really, really difficult to ID a plant from individuals leaves that have been removed from the plant and laid on a table, and I couldn't have ID'd them. Loads of different plants have leaves that look really similar in isolation, so we need to see how the leaves come off the stem of a plant, or whether there is a stem at all -- some leaves, like dandelions, just come straight out of the ground. And whether the leaves are opposite each other on a stem or alternate. So we always ask if you can take a photo of a plant in situ (for example, before you pick the leaves), clearing showing how it comes out of the ground, and then photos with a close up of leaves plus photos of any flowers or seed heads that might be on the plant. Sometimes a flower or seed head is the main way you can differentiate plants.

We look forward to more plants to ID from you, but if you could take photos of them growing first that would be a great help.
Nina

howsons

Post by howsons » 02 Nov 2020, 18:27

Ah yes sorry I know I just grabbed them, tried to ID them with Google lens but couldn't and it was pouring down.

Thank you very much, I'm sure after a while I will get better at this!

Thanks xx