Plant ID Please

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
JonM

Plant ID Please

Post by JonM » 08 Apr 2020, 13:16

This is growing in our garden in a new house in Devon and wanted to be sure we know what it is (ie if safe for Tortoises or pull it up)? We wondered if it is Japanese anemone, looks a bit similar to it but we weren't sure. We haven't seen it flower as only moved in autumn.

[attachment=0]Plant_sm.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]PlantCloseup.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
Plant_sm.JPG
PlantCloseup.JPG

lin

Re: Plant ID Please

Post by lin » 08 Apr 2020, 13:22

Hi JonM
Rather than pull up something that could be a good feed why dont you wait for it to grow a bit and post another photo. The photos are quite blurry and I cant see the individual leaf clearly so wonder if you could post a photo in a week or so.

Lin

JonM

Post by JonM » 08 Apr 2020, 14:17

Thanks, any tips on what photo angles would help you? I'm using macro mode for the closeup.

A family member claims it is not an anemone but a native wildflower, so don't base your judgement on our guess.

lin

Post by lin » 08 Apr 2020, 16:39

Ah, it could be the macro making it difficult to see and make it harder to judge the size. I was thinking Geum or Alexanders.

Geum - https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... nt=174&c=6. Particualy the last photo.
Alexanders - https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... nt=437&c=6 Particualy the first photo.
Have a look and hopefully you can see where I am coming from.
Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 08 Apr 2020, 16:55

i didn't think the photos were blurry, but not sure of the size (height) of the plant. Like Lin, I was wondering if it could be Wood Avens/Herb Bennet (Geum urbanum).

Nina