New Book on Edible Plants of the Midwest (U.S.)

This forum contains news items which might be of interest to tortoise keepers, and announcements about the website and forum matters, as well as providing a place where you can post announcements about upcoming events that are relevant to tortoise keepers.
Oxalis

New Book on Edible Plants of the Midwest (U.S.)

Post by Oxalis » 20 May 2021, 02:02

I just stumbled upon a new book (published 2020, Minnesota Historical Society Press) called "Edible & Medicinal Wild Plants of the Midwest" that tortoise keepers might be interested in. It contains a good deal of nutritional information on a lot of the plants we offer our tortoises, although most feature medicinal uses specifically for humans (and native plants!). It is quite extensive, at least compared to most other books I've flipped through on this topic. I learned plantain (Plantago spp.) contains "pro-vitamin A and vitamins C and K and the minerals zinc, potassium, and silica." :D

https://shop.mnhs.org/products/edible-m ... ts-midwest
I <3 Stevie, my Russian tortoise!

Nina

Re: New Book on Edible Plants of the Midwest (U.S.)

Post by Nina » 20 May 2021, 14:21

That looks like a very useful book! The only caveat I would make is to always be aware that plants that are perfectly fine for humans to eat might not be great for tortoises -- not necessarily toxic, but maybe not recommended. I'm thinking here of plants that are very high in protein, like legumes, alfalfa, etc., plants that are high in sugar (fruits, obviously), but also plants that are high in goitrogens (cabbage/brassica family), plus plants that are high in oxalic acid (which will bind with calcium and prevent the tortoise from absorbing it), etc.. As long as you're aware of things like that, it sounds like an interesting reference book.

I hope you're having better weather in Michigan than we are here -- it's freezing, raining and altogether miserable, and has been for weeks. My poor tomatoes, zucchine and cucumber are struggling and my tortoises can't even go out most days because it's too cold and wet (it's mid-afternoon here and currently about 52F, windy, wet).

Nina