Introduction

This forum contains news items which might be of interest to tortoise keepers, and announcements about the website and forum matters, as well as providing a place where you can post announcements about upcoming events that are relevant to tortoise keepers.
Daniel

Introduction

Post by Daniel » 16 Oct 2020, 00:16

Hello my name is Dan and I am new to this site. I am not a first time tortoise keeper, I used to keep a group of egyptian tortoises (Testudo kleinmanni) which I sold the group a few years back (my biggest regret ever).

I have decided that I would like to start keeping tortoises again and have decided I would like to keep Testudo graeca, spur-thighed tortoise, and Hermann's tortoise Testudo Hermann.

I would like to find some tortoises that need a new home, instead of going to a breeder, as I am a believer in giving aminals a home when they are in need.

Kind regards Dan.

lin

Re: Introduction

Post by lin » 16 Oct 2020, 12:49

Hi Dan. I have just sent you an email that I do hope you will get. I think it will be in your inbox.

So sorry to hear about your group of T. kleinmanni, I can only imagine that was such a hard decision to make and a choice that probably left you in pieces.

We do have tortoises for rehoming from time to time but it is usually up to the owner to make the decision over who gets their tortoise. All we really do is put them out there for people to see and they will them contact the owner letting them know what you can offer in terms of setups inside, outside, diet and basically whatever the owners want answering.

If you keep watch on the rehoming section in this forum and also our facebook page where we seem to get more traffic you can apply to any that are in your realm of suitability. Here is our FB page of you would like to look through the rehoming/rehomed photos and let us know what you think.
https://www.facebook.com/TheTortoiseTable/

Lin

Daniel

Post by Daniel » 16 Oct 2020, 21:41

At the time it was not that hard a decision to rehome my group, as I was working really long hours and had little time at home. When looking back now, I wish I could have temporarily rehomed them until I was at home more. But its only in the last 18 months that I really regret the sale of the group, but it was the right decision at the time.

Thanks for all the information on rehoming page in the forum Lin, and I will look in this section in due course. Unfortunately I am not on Facebook, so I will just have to keep looking here.

Kind regards Dan.

Nina

Post by Nina » 16 Oct 2020, 22:15

Hi Dan, and welcome from me too.

Egyptian's are such lovely little tortoises, and I can see why you miss them.

Don't worry about not having Facebook. We'll try to remember your interest and we can forward information about Spur Thighs or Hermann's that come in by messaging you or emailing you when some come in. Lin will have a look and we'll let you know if we have any at the moment. Actually, there will be either a Hermann's or a Spur Thigh (we think Ibera) that will be coming up soon (the person has both and is looking to rehome one of them but hasn't decided which yet). What area of the country do you live in (just the general area), and how far are you willing to travel to collect a tortoise?

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 16 Oct 2020, 23:05

Hi Dan and thanks for getting back to me.
Well done you for making the right choice at the right time and putting tour tortoises first. Still a very hard decision.

Here is where the rehomers will go, so thats where you need to look and hopefully find someone who is local enough to you that likes what you have to offer. https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/sit ... m.php?f=22
Good luck.

Lin

Daniel wrote:
> At the time it was not that hard a decision to rehome my group, as I was
> working really long hours and had little time at home. When looking back
> now, I wish I could have temporarily rehomed them until I was at home more.
> But its only in the last 18 months that I really regret the sale of the
> group, but it was the right decision at the time.
>
> Thanks for all the information on rehoming page in the forum Lin, and I
> will look in this section in due course. Unfortunately I am not on
> Facebook, so I will just have to keep looking here.
>
> Kind regards Dan.

Daniel

Post by Daniel » 17 Oct 2020, 21:22

Hello Nina and thanks for the welcome to the group. I am very interested in the Testudo graeca ibera subspecies.

My interest has always been in the Testudo group around the North Africa and Western Asia, part of the Mediterranean.

I live not to far away from Harlow in Essex, and I am willing to travel up to 100 miles from Harlow.

Thanks for your help Nina and also to Lin. Have a lovely weekend and take care.

Kind regards Dan.

anthony13WR

Post by anthony13WR » 24 Dec 2020, 05:58

Welcome to you