Sir Hector Sends His Love

This forum contains news items which might be of interest to tortoise keepers, and announcements about the website and forum matters, as well as providing a place where you can post announcements about upcoming events that are relevant to tortoise keepers.
Hector's Family

Sir Hector Sends His Love

Post by Hector's Family » 07 Dec 2019, 13:01

I just wanted you to know that this is our go-to spot for learning and help.

We are preparing to install a permanent outdoor enclosure for Hector next year. He celebrated his third birthday in September. I began doing my research for what plants to include and, naturally, I came here!

I've had private conversations with moderators in the past, always kind and helpful. I just needed to express that your work matters. And we thank you.

Sending all of our appreciation and Hector's first photo... because I finally learned how to make the files smaller, lol.
Attachments
IMG_8309-scfopt.jpg

Nina

Re: Sir Hector Sends His Love

Post by Nina » 07 Dec 2019, 13:34

Hi Michelle and all of Sir Hector's family,

What a lovely post from you, and it really means a lot to us to know that our efforts are appreciated! It's the nicest Christmas wishes we could have had.

And what a handsome chappy Sir Hector is! His shell looks lovely and smooth, and that 's a tribute to the care you've given him. Can't wait to see the royal enclosure that you are going to build for him next year -- do send photos! Remember that with Horsfields, they can burrow down and dig under a wall that's sitting on top of the ground, so it's best to bury the walls in the ground to prevent that.

I hope all of your family and Sir Hector himself have a really lovely Christmas and a happy, healthy and sun-filled 2020!

Nina

Hector's Family

Re: Sir Hector Sends His Love

Post by Hector's Family » 07 Dec 2019, 15:41

Good! That's exactly what my post was intended to do.

I'm very happy he looks healthy. Warms my heart.

He's currently in a 75-gallon enclosure (fish tank.) He's getting much too big for it. We allow him to roam around the kitchen for a few hours a day (under heavy supervision, after we've swept, and a baby gate to separate him from our five dogs.) He really enjoys himself!

I am well-aware of his digging capabilities but do appreciate the reminder. We have 6.5 acres of wooded land and have studied our predators carefully. Not only will we bury the walls (concrete cinderblocks,) but we also will line the bottom with hardware cloth. That way, he can't get out AND no one can get in. He will come in each night... just in case. It isn't warm enough here (Salem County, NJ, USA) to keep him out year-round. We also intend to build him a tortoise table out of two bookcases for next winter for much more room to wander in his enclosure.

We'd like to hibernate him next year so we'll be studying that as well as getting all the necessary equipment (like a dedicated refrigerator, generator, and temperature alarm.) It does make me a bit paranoid, so it might not be next year, haha.

We sincerely appreciate all you guys do for the community. Wishing you the merriest of Christmases, as well!