Introducing BungalowBel and Theresa

This forum contains news items which might be of interest to tortoise keepers, and announcements about the website and forum matters, as well as providing a place where you can post announcements about upcoming events that are relevant to tortoise keepers.
BungalowBel

Introducing BungalowBel and Theresa

Post by BungalowBel » 17 Mar 2019, 16:26

Hi there! I was given a gift of a young horsefield tortoise about five weeks ago. This is the first tortoise I have owned since I was a child in the 1950s! I am aware we did not treat them properly in those days so have had to have a rapid education in tortoise care. Hopefully I am doing it right. She has gained weight so no problem there. She came with a wooden house, which my very handy neighbour has turned into a tortoise table, working from a photo of one in a shop. (similar to this one: http://www.onlinereptileshop.co.uk/imag ... O_main.jpg).

I am really enjoying her, she is a sweet little thing, I always did love their little faces :D

Just made a folder from info on this site about things she can eat, most of which we have in our garden.

Is there a way to post a picture on here?

Hoping to hear from other tortoise owners soon.

BungalowBel

Re: Introducing BungalowBel and Theresa

Post by BungalowBel » 17 Mar 2019, 16:29

Forgot to say, she is named Theresa after the Prime Minister! :lol:

lin

Post by lin » 17 Mar 2019, 16:42

Hiya and a warm welcome from me and the team.
We would love to see a photo of 'Theresa (I'm not saying anything about her name - lol) if you can. We do have a 'how to' on the uploading of photos here for you to follow -- https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/sit ... hp?f=4&t=3 but let us know if you cant get it done that way.
It sounds like Threesa is going to be well loved and looked after, so congratulations on doing the homework early on. The folder is a good idea too.
Just a reminder for you and that is to tick the box below where you type your message, the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' and that way you will get notification in your inbox rather than having to keep looking.

If there is anything specific you need to ask then just ask. Horsfields are adorable tortoises.
Look forward to seeing your photo.
Lin

BungalowBel

Post by BungalowBel » 17 Mar 2019, 17:03

Thank you Lin for your reply and good advice.

About the name...I'm saying nothing either, for example I wouldn't dream of saying that she is named after the PM because she is slow to make a decision and even slower to act :lol: (Only joking!).

I'm going to see if I can put a photo on now:

ETA : Can't do it yet because my phone is not 'added' to my PC.. Will get my husband to it later x

lin

Post by lin » 17 Mar 2019, 18:07

:lol: :lol: I'm not laughing either :lol: :lol:

We will patiently await to see this Theresa and if she comes up to the desired expectations of other Theresas that we may know. Poor thing. :lol:

Lin

BungalowBel

Post by BungalowBel » 17 Mar 2019, 18:49

You get a picture of me too :) But Theresa is the star!!

[attachment=0]doris tortoise 2.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
doris tortoise 2.jpg

Nina

Post by Nina » 17 Mar 2019, 19:14

Well, I have to say that the reason for name is brilliant -- made my day. Thanks for the photo too! Aww, isn't she (are you sure she is a she?) is gorgeous, and welcome from me too! It sounds to me like you are doing your research really well, and it is great that you have built her a tortoise table. You probably already have a care sheet for Horsfields, but in case you don't here is a link to one:
https://www.tortoise-protection-group.o ... 014New.pdf
They really are tortoises with great personalities, but then I'm a bit biaised as I keep Horsfields :D

It looks like she is almost certainly too young to sex, but if you send us a close-up photo of her underside, clearly showing the tail, we might be able to make a guess. Most Horsfields do resemble females until they are about five or six years old, and then the differences between the sexes appear quite rapidly, but sometimes you can tell a bit earlier.

My Doris and Dolly send their regards and I've attached a photo of them taken a couple of years ago, alongside a topiary tortoise that I made for the garden.

Cheers,
Nina
[attachment=0]IMG_5761 [Desktop Resolution].JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_5761 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

BungalowBel

Post by BungalowBel » 17 Mar 2019, 21:56

Thank you - Doris and Dolly are lovely! Love your 'plant' tortoise too! Thanks for the Horsefield care sheet, I have printed it out for my folder.

A s regards the sex, she certainly resembles a female (small tail) but she is only three years old. So I suppose I will have to wait and see.

Thanks all for the welcome. See you all tomorrow!

lin

Post by lin » 17 Mar 2019, 22:42

Oh your a star too and I must say Theresa is adorable. Just a thought though, what are you going to call her if she is a he - lol.
I will say at three though s/he is to young to say for sure what the sex is. It matters not though - lol.

Lin

BungalowBel wrote:
> You get a picture of me too :) But Theresa is the star!!
>

BungalowBel

Post by BungalowBel » 18 Mar 2019, 08:33

Oh well,if she turns out to be male she will have to be Thereso :lol: Although probably Terry :)

lin wrote:
> Oh your a star too and I must say Theresa is adorable. Just a thought though, what
> are you going to call her if she is a he - lol.
> I will say at three though s/he is to young to say for sure what the sex is. It
> matters not though - lol.
>
> Lin
>
>
>
> BungalowBel wrote:
> > You get a picture of me too :) But Theresa is the star!!
> >