Hermanns hatlchling shell

Information and advice on how to use this forum, upload photos and report errors.
Totoro3

Hermanns hatlchling shell

Post by Totoro3 » 24 Sep 2023, 09:55

Can someone tell me what the white marks are on my tortoise, I am new to keeping tortoises and they have these very pale white marks.
Attachments
IMG_8427.jpeg

Nina

Re: Hermanns hatlchling shell

Post by Nina » 24 Sep 2023, 10:22

Ho Totoro3, and welcome to The Tortoise Table forum.

It was a little difficult to see the marks, but I'm pretty sure they are keratin stress marks. Are they like little wiggly white lines, almost like little worm trails under the shell? Keratin stress marks can appear during periods of rapid growth, but they are normal and actually nothing to worry about, and they are seen in tortoises in the wild as well. The word 'stress' in the term 'keratin stress marks' doesn't actually indicate that the tortoise or its shell is under any stress. So if this is what you are referring to then I think you can breathe easy. If you want to send in a close-up of some of the marks, just to double check, that's fine, but I do think those are keratin stress marks.

Although lots of tortoises do get these marks it's important to remember that tortoises need to grow very slowly, in order to avoid problems with the development of their shells. It's good to aim for a weight increase of no more than 1g - 3g on average per month (that's just an average and sometimes they will put on more and sometimes less), so try and weigh your tortoise regularly and if he is putting on more than 1g - 3g per month then you should consider cutting down on the amount of food that you give him.

He (or she) is a very handsome tortoise by the way! Would you like a care sheet for Hermann's tortoises? If so let us know and I'll post a link to one.

Also, just for info -- you posted this message in our Guidelines sections, which is really for messgaes from us on how to use the site, etc. Don't worry as others have done it too, because it's the first section that you see. If you post again you might want to consider posting in the 'General Tortoise Care' or 'Mediterranean Species' sections (just scroll down the page to see all of the other categories).

Nina

Totoro3

Post by Totoro3 » 24 Sep 2023, 11:10

Ooops! My bad sorry.

Thank you for your response.

I have attached a close up, I did think it’s probably nothing to worry about as they are very happy and active. (I have two and they are adorable).

Just being a new owner I am very cautious.

Totoro3

Post by Totoro3 » 24 Sep 2023, 11:15

Sorry pic now attached
Attachments
IMG_8433.jpeg

Nina

Post by Nina » 24 Sep 2023, 11:22

Many thanks for the photo -- it's excellent and those are definitely keratin stress marks (like little wiggly worm trails). Nothing to worry about, but do try to ensure they don't grow too quickly.

Feel free to ask any questions here, and do let me know if you'd like the care sheet for Hermann's tortoises. There is also an excellent website on Hermann's, run by the foremost expert on them and I can send you the link if you'd like.

You are absolutely right to be cautious, and that way you will catch any problems before they develop further, so if you're ever worried about anything then just ask away.

It would be lovely to see a photo of your two little ones -- what are they called? Lol, we never get tired of looking at photos of tortoises!

Cheers,
Nina

Totoro3

Post by Totoro3 » 24 Sep 2023, 12:19

Yes please, if you could send me the hermann’s care sheets that would be great and any other info that would be beneficial.
They are called Herb and Haim, I have attached a couple of pics for you to see.
Attachments
IMG_8442.jpeg
IMG_8441.jpeg
IMG_8440.jpeg

Nina

Post by Nina » 24 Sep 2023, 16:13

Aren't they lovely -- and super names too! It looks like you've got them in a good set-up, with a soil-based substrate and rocks and things to give them interest and to climb over and walk around, so well done for giving them a good home.

Here is a link to a care sheet:
https://www.tortoise-protection-group.o ... 014New.pdf
and here is a link to an excellent website. It's based in the USA, and some of the care instructions are sightly different to what we advise in the UK, but it's all good stuff, and you might be able to identify the sub-species of your tortoises too:
https://www.hermannihaven.com/general

Please feel free to ask any questions or let us know of any problems you have -- we're always happy to help.

Nina