Pachira Aquatica (Money Tree)

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
kttdid

Pachira Aquatica (Money Tree)

Post by kttdid » 21 Feb 2024, 21:05

Hi there,

Does anyone know if Pachira Aquatica (also called Money Tree or Guiana Chestnut) is safe for tortoises to eat? I can't seem to find any information on it anywhere.

Thank you!
Kat

Nina

Re: Pachira Aquatica (Money Tree)

Post by Nina » 21 Feb 2024, 22:32

Hi Kat,

I've had a good look at the literature and can't find anything that would indicate that you can't feed this plant to tortoises. I would only feed the leaves (not the fruit or seeds). Here's a (very long) article that analyses the chemical constituents in it https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7521000788 . I have seen it listed as safe for pets on various sites, and it's a member of the Malvaceae family, and most of the plants in that family are edible.

Are you growing the plant indoors or outdoors? I only ask because the plant has a reputation for being able to purify air indoors by absorbing organic volatile compounds in the air, so if it is sited in a polluted place then the leaves could possibly contain some of those pollutants, but I doubt that this is a big problem.

Nina

kttdid

Re: Pachira Aquatica (Money Tree)

Post by kttdid » 09 Mar 2024, 17:38

Nina,

Thank you so much for researching this further and helping me to understand the safety of this plant. I sincerely appreciate your help! You seem to have been able to find better information than I was able to and it is very helpful.

Thanks again, for your help.

Kat