What wild plants/weeds can I find at the minute

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
Nina

Re: What wild plants/weeds can I find at the minute

Post by Nina » 22 Mar 2021, 17:37

Many thanks very much for the latest photos. We did notice one of the spurs on the tail on a previous photo and wondered about it, because Marginated tortoises don't have spurs, and even tortoises that do have spurs have them on the thigh, or the area between the leg and the tail, and not on the tail itself.
I want to have a word with Lin about this, but unfortunately am waiting for an important call and so can't phone her just now, but we will definitely get back to you a.s.a.p.

Nina

Nina

Re: What wild plants/weeds can I find at the minute

Post by Nina » 22 Mar 2021, 21:14

Well, Lin and I have had a really good look, and for one reason or another it looks like your tortoise has a deformed tail. It's very possible that she was born with it, or it could have occurred because of the poor conditions she was kept in before you got her, but the tail shouldn't curve upwards the way it does, and there shouldn't be spurs on it.

It will probably be no problem at all to her having a normal and happy life, but because she was kept in very poor conditions before she came to you, we think that she really needs to have a good check-up at a vet. As for the organ that she is flashing (we do think that the tortoise is female), it could be a prolapse, or it could be a penis if we're wrong about it being female (if she is really 5 then it can still be difficult to sex a tortoise at that age), but the shape of her cloaca and the shape of the anal scute do look female.

If you can get a photo of her ''flashing' to show the vet, that would be a big help, and if you can take a sample of poo with you (it can be kept in a sealed container overnight in the fridge if necessary), that is a big help too, and the vet can also test for worms and parasites. It's fortunate that you have a reptile vet so close to you, and we'll be very interested to hear what he or she says -- please let us know!

Nina