Scabious

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
Heather

Scabious

Post by Heather » 04 Aug 2019, 16:43

Hi all - confused I am....I thought Scabious was the same as 'candy tuft' but it appears that I am mistaken......I couldn't find an entry for Scabious by 'searching' (I've had a similar problem before) but eventually found it under 'S' in the A-Z section.....think I'm going mad (or stupid!)....

Also - as I entered this section of the forum I spotted a Q about a plant I bought only y'day: an Amelanchier...& someone's promise to add an entry for it....

:?: :?: :?:

Heather :twisted:

Nina

Re: Scabious

Post by Nina » 04 Aug 2019, 17:30

Hi Heather,

I'm a bit confused. How did you try and search for scabious before you found it in the A-Z section? I've just now typed Scabious into the search box that is in the upper right-hand corner of every page and two entries came up: Scabious and Knautia Macedonica. The search box is by far the easiest way to search for a plant when you know its name (as long as you spell it correctly), and just make sure that the Plant Database tab (rather than the Other Pages) tab is the one showing.

Re Amelanchier -- yes we were going to do an entry for this shrub/tree but haven't got round to it yet. I have one growing in my front garden (you can have them as a multi-stem shrub o a single stem tree), and I think they are one of the best value trees for a small garden. The new leaves in spring are almost pink, it is then covered with lovely little white star-like flowers, which are followed by dark blue berries that the birds love, and in the autumn the leaves turn orange and red. Have attached one of mine in flower last year.

We haven't done the research on its edibility yet, but will try and do that soon and get back to you.

Nina
[attachment=0]m_Amelanchier, 2018 (2).jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
m_Amelanchier, 2018 (2).jpg

Heather

Post by Heather » 04 Aug 2019, 20:02

Hi Nina - the search works fine for me now....I wonder if I simply typed in the search box before the page was fully loaded (my internet is very slow), but I also scrolled down the garden plants section & found it lacking....odd....

My Amelanchier was indeed good value - £4 in the knocked down section - two stemmed bush 30 inches high. It has slightly mildewy leaves maybe, but otherwise a decent plant. I pick up some super bargains for 'next year' at my local Garden Store, as they have restricted space, & clear out anything that's hung about or spoils their new display each week. I'm learning to hang back on something I might like, if there are plenty, & catch it a week or so later as a bargain! Just call me thrifty!

Heather

Nina

Post by Nina » 04 Aug 2019, 21:04

Ahh, a woman after my own heart. I'm exactly the same and really love a bargain and am often to be found at the sales (my only problem is ever decreasing space!). I also volunteer at an Oxfam shop several days a week, so more bargains available (not plants though). I will try to look up Amelanchier soon and let you know if it's OK for torts.

Cheers,
Nina

r