Peony / Tree Peony

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
Heather

Peony / Tree Peony

Post by Heather » 18 Apr 2019, 10:53

Hi ladies - I can't find this (surprisingly) in your database - but it may be my eyes!

What status is / are these please?

Thanks,

Heather

Nina

Re: Peony / Tree Peony

Post by Nina » 18 Apr 2019, 11:29

Hi Heather,

That is surprising, because we do have an entry for it: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... LhQ76R7m9s Unfortunately this is definitely a 'no feed'.
Just out of interest, how are you searching? You should be able to type the name of the plant into the search box at the top right of every page, and then the short entry comes up and you click on that to see the long entry.

Nina

Heather

Post by Heather » 18 Apr 2019, 12:11

Hi Nina - I thought I was going mad, so I have tried again - both in the database home page, in trees & shrubs & then looked (again) in the alphabetical section - having chosen 'p', where it should be between: pelagonium & peperomia I think?

Hmmmm.......

Heather

Your link works fine, by the way!

Nina

Post by Nina » 18 Apr 2019, 12:22

Hi Heather,

We have Peony in the Garden and House section, as most Peonies aren't trees or shrubs (although the Tree Peony is), but it is definitely there in the alphabetical section under 'P'. The list goes as follows: Pelargonium, Pennyroyal, Penstemon, Pentas, Peony, Peperomia -- so I'm not sure why you aren't seeing it.

Are you accessing the website via the app (like on a phone)? If so then I wonder if somethis is wrong with the app. I don't have the app (phone too old), so I access the website on my laptop. What happens if you type Peony in the search box that is on every page -- does it come up then? I find the search box is the quickest way to find plants (unless I misspell it!).

Nina

Heather wrote:
> Hi Nina - I thought I was going mad, so I have tried again - both in the
> database home page, in trees & shrubs & then looked (again) in the
> alphabetical section - having chosen 'p', where it should be between:
> pelagonium & peperomia I think?
>
> Hmmmm.......
>
> Heather
>
> Your link works fine, by the way!

Heather

Post by Heather » 18 Apr 2019, 14:54

I don't 'do' apps! I'm on the computer at work. If I go to database, houseplants & put in 'geranium' (simply as an example) it finds it straight away, but not 'peony'!

I've tried to attach a screen shot, but it won't accept either a screen shot saved as word doc or pdf...However, I have copy/pasted below. Also - note that I'm NOT searching (as it shows below) in 'plants by colour', but in 'garden & house plants' or 'plants A-Z' - both give the result shown below.

I have your web site open twice, so I can type & search (but didn't to start with)....... ODD.

FYI,

peony
Submit
USING THE DATABASE | PLANTS BY CATEGORY | PLANTS BY A-Z | PLANTS BY FLOWER COLOUR
Found in thetortoisetable.org.uk » plant-database » search
Search Results for peony
Plant Database
Other Pages
No results found. Please try another search term

Heather

Nina

Post by Nina » 18 Apr 2019, 15:42

When your 'no search result found' screen comes up, there are two tabs in the middle of the screen: one that says Plant Database and one that says Other Pages. The Plant Database tab should be active (coloured green). If your Other Pages tab is in green then that could be the reason you aren't seeing results (because it has searched the articles, etc., and not the plant database).

Actually I'm going to send you a private mail with my phone number on it, and maybe we could go over this live on the phone (that would be easier, I tihnk). Would that be OK? I'm really stumped by this problem (and if you are experiencing it then maybe other people are as well.

Nina

Heather

Post by Heather » 18 Apr 2019, 15:58

SOLVED IT.....

Having been browsing, yesterday I had un-ticked the red & orange/red filters!....Now re-ticked, it WORKS fine.

So sorry - my computer settings remembered the filtering, & obviously I didn't even remember that I had done some filtering.

I realised after trying 'tulip' & also not getting a result......

All OK now.

SORRY to be a pest. However, it is something others might also do at some point.

Heather x

Nina

Post by Nina » 18 Apr 2019, 16:54

Aha -- so glad it is solved. That's interesting though because the filtering is only supposed to work in your current session -- if you go out of the website and go back in again it should re-set itself.
You're not a pest at all -- it made an interesting conundrum today for us. And also, we will know what to suggest if this happens in future to someone else (and it's bound to happen -- so you've actually done us a favour!

Nina

Heather

Post by Heather » 22 Apr 2019, 21:24

:D

What a SUPER few days for tortoises to enjoy the outdoor life!

I've been busy achieving my goal of an adequate outdoor space for Achillea, rather than the previous safe space based on weedy grass. Turf removed & replaced with membrane + limestone pea grave. Area slightly increased. The fun bit has been creating the habitat with 'standing stones', cave & an area of sand / soil mix with a really hairy sedge for shade.

We had a small visitor on Saturday who delighted in feeding her dandelion flowers - of course she didn't disappoint in her enthusiasm to follow a (nearly) 4y/o about for more.....catch & educate them young!

LOVE this tortoise!

Heather

Nina

Post by Nina » 22 Apr 2019, 22:12

Heather, that sounds great! But why are you leaving us in suspense -- we want photos!!! :D :D

Nina