Sedum

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
Hector's Family

Sedum

Post by Hector's Family » 17 Feb 2019, 18:14

I have found several sources for sedum seed mixes. I can see that Sedum spp. is okay for a tortoise. We have a Russian tortoise.

Specifically, I was thinking of buying one of these mixes and would like advice as to their suitability for Hector's summer outdoor enclosure.

https://www.michiganbulb.com/product/se ... gIl1PD_BwE

https://www.etsy.com/listing/471654055/ ... gI2TPD_BwE

Hector is 2 1/2 years old. I always err on the side of caution and I know this is a safe place to ask. Thank you, in advance, for any guidance you can provide.

lin

Re: Sedum

Post by lin » 17 Feb 2019, 18:24

I would imagine they will all be fine. There is one Sedum you should watch out for and that is the Sedum Acre. It has very teeny triangular leaves and the only other way I can say to check is with our photos as there is a good example there of the leaf size and structure. Heres the link - https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... ant=45&c=3

Let us know if you need anymore help and good luck in growing the sedum.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 17 Feb 2019, 19:00

Hi and welcome to The Tortoise Table,

Just an extra tip from me, to add to what Lin has said. If you plant the sedum in your tortoise's enclosure they will disappear in a flash, and all your hard work will be gone in an afternoon. Tortoises love succulents like sedum, and you do need to be careful about feeding them too much as that can cause a bit of diarrhea. But more importantly, they will just mow any plants in there to the ground, and if you plant the seeds directly into the enclosure they will eat them as soon as they start to grow. I think I would grow at least some of those seeds in separate pots or a window box, and pick off leaves and offer them to your tortoise separately.

LOL, I speak from experience as I once had the great idea of making a tunnel for my Horsfield in her outdoor enclosure by using a curved roof tile and then covering it with soil and planting sedum album on it for a 'green' roof. I planted the sedum from cuttings elsewhere in my garden and then I put a little fence around it to allow it time to grow and get established, but one afternoon I came back to find that my Doris had broken through the little fence and just eaten everything to the ground. I've attached a photo of the culprit at the scene of the crime -- that soil was completely covered in sedum when I'd gone shopping an hour earlier! :roll:
Nina
[attachment=0]IMG_1190 (Copy).JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_1190 (Copy).JPG

Hector's Family

Post by Hector's Family » 17 Dec 2019, 16:32

As I'm planning his enclosure, please allow me a follow up question.

If I buy a mix, how long would it have to grow before I was able to identify any sedum acre? I've asked the shop owners if it's included in the mix, but realized I wouldn't trust what they say anyway. I'd rather be sure. After all, it says toxic.

If I allow it to grow for three months before Hector is exposed to it, would that allow me the identification opportunity to get it out of there? Or would it take much more time to identify it as it grows? If so, we can sow it in pots to transfer after identification.

As always, thank you so much for your help!

P.S. Okay- two questions. When something is listed as toxic, does that mean they get three leaves and pass away or is it a cumulative over-time effect? Regardless of the answer, I won't take any chances. Just looking to understand.

Nina

Post by Nina » 17 Dec 2019, 19:24

Some very good questions!
Sedum acre is toxic, but we don't actually know how toxic it is. It might well be that your tortoise could nibble a few leaves with no ill effects, but it's best not to take a chance. Yes, three months ought to be enough to time to ID it, but it does look a bit like some safe varieties, so send us photos and we'll do our best.

Re toxic plants. Our red traffic light code means 'do not feed'. Some of those plants are very toxic (in which case we will always state that in the full entry for the plant). Some, however are just not good for them and nibbling a few leaves will do no lasting harm (we often advise not to feed, and usually say why, but add that you don't need to worry if your tortoise accidentally nibbles some. Do read the full entry on each plant you have a question about and then ask us if you 'real still not sure.

I hope that helps, but we are always here if you have any questions.

Hector's Family

Post by Hector's Family » 17 Dec 2019, 19:31

Awesome. As always, I appreciate you!

I will buy a packet and start growing them inside under lights. Then, I'll post photos so we can verify their safety before we add them to the enclosure.

Where can I find a designation on the difference between sparingly and in moderation? I'm trying to understand the table and entries better so we can plan an excellent (and very safe) garden for him.

Nina

Post by Nina » 17 Dec 2019, 19:43

So sorry, I'm in Uganda on holiday on my iphone and not good at pasting links, but if you go to the website, in the section called Database and click on How to Use the database, there is a section about the Traffic Lights and it defines all of the terms like 'sparingly' and moderation and that should tell you how much/often to feed.

Cheers,
Nina

Hector's Family

Post by Hector's Family » 17 Dec 2019, 19:46

Found it!

I appreciate you taking time out of your holiday to help me!

I'm off to study. Have a wonderful time!

lin

Post by lin » 17 Dec 2019, 20:03

Hiya, sorry to be late in coming in on this one.

If you have photos of your sedums and would like to send them in I will be able to tell you if you have the S.acre. It is identifiable by very small, tightly packed triangular leaves.

Lin

lin

Post by lin » 17 Dec 2019, 20:07

https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/com ... July12.jpg

You might be able to see what I mean from this photo.
Lin

Hector's Family

Post by Hector's Family » 17 Dec 2019, 20:17

Thank you very much!

Yes, that photo is excellent. I'm still going to bug you to be sure once we have them grown, haha!

lin

Post by lin » 17 Dec 2019, 21:09

No problem at all.

Lin