Indoor pond breeding mosquitos(?)

Upload pictures of your turtles in this forum and tell us a little about them. Also, do add pictures of turtles species that you have seen in the wild.
Heather

Indoor pond breeding mosquitos(?)

Post by Heather » 04 Feb 2019, 19:50

In the last couple of weeks, many (not thousands, thankfully) mosquito-like insects have been emerging from the turtle pond in my conservatory. It's 'fun' catching them - they are messier than I expected when squashed, & my technique is improving....

My question is - can anyone suggest an insecticide / other treatment safe for the turtle water?? I would have expected the filter to extract them, but obviously not. (In fact, fresh water shrimp seem to thrive in it...., so I'm wondering if there should be a finer component?).

Suggestions welcome!

Heather :roll:

lin

Re: Indoor pond breeding mosquitos(?)

Post by lin » 04 Feb 2019, 20:14

Hi Heather.
I have just had a look for some suggestions and copied these what might help --
Install aeration pumps or a water feature such as a fountain in your pond. ...
Run the water feature or the pump for a few hours each day. ...
Stock ornamental ponds with native fish or minnows or with another larvae-eating fish such as koi.

Here is also Austin, he will willingly help you out with suggestions, have a look at his pages and you can ask him what he suggests on his forum -- http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/

Hope thats helpful.

Lin

Heather

Re: Indoor pond breeding mosquitos(?)

Post by Heather » 06 Feb 2019, 11:01

I like Austin already - thanks for that link Lin.

The evaporation rate is already quite high (2 - 3 small buckets a week)...& the terrapins would love the fish....

;)

Heather