When keepers get it completely wrong...

Upload pictures of your turtles in this forum and tell us a little about them. Also, do add pictures of turtles species that you have seen in the wild.
Bigjoe

When keepers get it completely wrong...

Post by Bigjoe » 14 May 2017, 20:35

This is what happens when incorrect diet,habitat,husbandry is applied....female Mississippi map Turtle...little one was taken From the previous keepers along with two others that surprisely weren't suffering from MBD,apparently all were purchased at the same time but that doesn't sit still with me..all three were homed with us until today when they all were released into their new outdoor pond to spend a natural life..such a friendly little Turtle we wanted to keep her but she'll have a good life where she is now.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_5352.JPG
IMG_5351.JPG
IMG_5350.JPG

Bigjoe

Re: When keepers get it completely wrong...

Post by Bigjoe » 14 May 2017, 20:36

Two more pics of little Philly and their new home
Attachments
IMG_5354.JPG
IMG_5353.JPG
IMG_5348.JPG

Nina

Post by Nina » 14 May 2017, 22:41

My goodness, that poor turtle really is deformed, isn't she? Thank goodness you rescued her, Joe, and that pond she is going into looks like a bit of paradise for her, so at least the rest of her life will be a happy one. Is that someone's personal pond? It's amazing!

Nina

Bigjoe

Post by Bigjoe » 14 May 2017, 23:45

One of two ponds Nina..the other pond was a little to far from the house but just as beautiful...we have a little group of wonderful Turtle ladies who all have amazing ponds/lakes and love Turtles,between them we have rehomed 10 with them...yep she does have real bad MBD..apart from this she is very active and eats like a champ ( correct diet now )

Nina

Post by Nina » 15 May 2017, 08:58

How super to have found those turtle ladies! I remember that turtles were always really difficult for Mary Datson when she was doing re-homing for the BCG, because so many were abandoned or needed re-homing (especially red-eared sliders), and the problem was always to find people with proper facilities to take them. You and the turtle ladies are doing a brilliant job, Joe!

Nina

Elaine

Post by Elaine » 15 May 2017, 15:53

Thank you Joe and Paula for going the extra mile for these guys. I would have put money on this little one being a keeper as she was such a friendly little character. I'm glad you didn't as she has such an amazing setup to do what she was born to do and sadly there will be more knocking at your door.

Swim free little one!
Elaine
Elaine on behalf of The Tortoise Table (T.T.T.).

Heather

Post by Heather » 11 Jun 2017, 16:31

Sorry to be thick - what is MBD? (in words - I can see it clearly in action!). I realise it will probably be blindingly obvious when you tell me.

Heather

Helen

Post by Helen » 11 Jun 2017, 16:39

It's Metabolic Bone Disease Heather.
Helen

Nina

Post by Nina » 11 Jun 2017, 20:08

Hi Heather,

If you want to read a bit more about Metabolic Bone Disease here is a link (but if you google it you will find lots more):
http://africantortoise.com/metabolic_bone_disease.htm

Nina

Heather

Post by Heather » 05 Oct 2017, 22:29

Hi again on this thread - lovely ponds, to which I aspire! However, are they in this country (GB) & if so - are the turtles gathered up to indoors over winter?

Heather

Nina

Post by Nina » 06 Oct 2017, 07:39

Yes, if I remember correctly the ponds are in this country, and as far as I know, Map Turtles (Graptemys geographica) hibernate a the bottom of a pond in winter. I have read that they do like it to be relatively cold (5C or below), and they are quite happy hibernating at the bottom even when there is ice on the pond (when in hibernation their needs for oxygen are very low). Hopefully Joe, who started the thread will come in with more information, or correct me if I'm wrong.

Nina

Bigjoe

Post by Bigjoe » 07 Oct 2017, 20:53

Correct Nina..this is a very deep pond with natural substrate,they have had plenty of time to acclimatiz to their new home,I've been to some good ponds in Kentucky where maps are both summer and winter time,one winter the ice was so thick you could stand in it...how they survive in these conditions is remarkable.