Kleinmann's/ Egyptian tortoise

Upload pictures of your tortoises that originate from the African continent in this forum and tell us a little about them. Examples include Sulcata, Leopard, Pancake, Padopler, Hinged tortoises. Also, do add pictures of African species that you have seen in the wild.
Alex

Kleinmann's/ Egyptian tortoise

Post by Alex » 05 Apr 2018, 17:44

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum so please bear with me.

I have been looking for Egyptian/ Kleinmann's tortoises for sale for quite some time and I have a few concerns that I was hoping someone could shed some light on.

I know this species is incredibly rare and not often seen in the UK. I am unclear about the current regulations surrounding this species and if the law has changed regarding keeping them in the UK?

I have concerns about the legitimacy of purchasing captive bred animals. I have heard from various people that there have been issues arising with certs and proper paper work and wondered if anyone had experienced this?

Thanks you for you help,
Alex

Nina

Re: Kleinmann's/ Egyptian tortoise

Post by Nina » 05 Apr 2018, 17:59

Hi Alex and welcome to The Tortoise Table! I'm afraid I'm not an expert on Kleinmanni, but I've pm'd someone who keeps them and is knowledgeable about them, and hopefully she will come online soon.

Nina

Alex

Post by Alex » 05 Apr 2018, 18:30

Thanks for that Nina, very much appreciated!
Alex

Elatort

Post by Elatort » 05 Apr 2018, 20:23

Hi Alex,
What an interesting first post. Welcome to TTT it's a very friendly, informative site.

You can buy and own Kleinmanni in the UK. They are critically endangered so not a tortoise for the first time keeper as they are so sensitive to change.

Many keepers are finding it so hard to source a breeder in the UK that they are going to the reptile shows like Hamm to acquire this species.

Just like any other Mediterranean tortoise they do require Article 10 certificates and must be microchipped over 60 mm.

Can i ask is there any reason as to this species?

Elaine

Alex

Post by Alex » 05 Apr 2018, 20:58

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for your reply. Is there a way of sourcing a list of breeders that might attend the Hamm show?
I was really hoping to find a UK breeder so I could talk to them directly about their husbandry and see the animals in person.

My main hobby is niche habitat creation and I have always been drawn to semiarid/ desert reptile species. I have had Indian Stars in the past but am looking for something a little more challenging.

I kept chelonian before moving to Sydney in 2011 but have now been back in the UK since 2014 and would like to start my hobby up again.

I have in the past looked into Kleinmanni but was put off by their delicate nature and sensitivity but as my knowledge has grown I decided I wanted to keep this species.

Elatort

Post by Elatort » 05 Apr 2018, 22:13

Hi Alex,

I’m not sure if there is a list, but many people have couriers booked in advance to pickup from the likes of Hamm, which would lead me to think that there must be.

I’ll have an ask about and if there are any present UK breeders. I know a lot of keepers but no breeders as yet.

Research on this species is so hard to come by, but with the increase of keepers hopefully more will be shared

There are five here..[attachment=0]B0267050-F4BC-4E16-9211-10C7424AE18F.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
B0267050-F4BC-4E16-9211-10C7424AE18F.jpeg

Alex

Post by Alex » 05 Apr 2018, 22:36

Thanks Elaine, thats very kind of you.

I would be reluctant to get any animals from Hamm as its not somewhere I could get to easily so would have to trust a breeder I have never met.

Would be good to chat to people in the UK to hear what setups they have found work best for them and how they control their environments.