Tortoise

Upload pictures of your tortoises that originate from the African continent in this forum and tell us a little about them. Examples include Sulcata, Leopard, Pancake, Padopler, Hinged tortoises. Also, do add pictures of African species that you have seen in the wild.
Madss22

Tortoise

Post by Madss22 » 04 Jun 2019, 17:58

Hi need some help
I have 2 leopard tortoise of 2 years and i have taken in a sulcata
As wasn't wanted would it be okay to put him in with my leopards?

lin

Re: Tortoise

Post by lin » 04 Jun 2019, 19:53

Some say its ok and some say not. I am afraid I am of the mind of 100% no dont do it. I had a huge sulcata walk over a large leopard and stood on its neck. It was lucky I was there on my way to removing the sulcata from the leopard enclosure and see what happened. If it wasnt there it could have been a very horrible story and a very expencive vet bill. Also think about pathogens that may crossover between the two species causing illneses that the other isnt accustom to.

I know its not what you want to hear but there is other reasons as well. As they gro the sulcata will need a lot more food than the leopard does and quite often a leopard would feel intimidated being in the vacinity of a larger tortoise.

I hope you have the room to keep these two beautiful species seperate because they really do need people who care looking after them.

Lin