Angulate tortoise care

Upload pictures of your tortoises that originate from the African continent in this forum and tell us a little about them. Examples include Sulcata, Leopard, Pancake, Padopler, Hinged tortoises. Also, do add pictures of African species that you have seen in the wild.
TortillaTheTortoise

Angulate tortoise care

Post by TortillaTheTortoise » 10 Apr 2019, 06:10

Do u have any info/advice on taking care of baby and adult angulate tortoises? Also how is there growth rate? When will they be fully grown?

Nina

Re: Angulate tortoise care

Post by Nina » 10 Apr 2019, 10:07

Hi Tortilla (sorry, I don't know your real name),

Thanks for contacting us, and I've responded to your email about diet on the other thread.

Although none of us on the TTT team have personal experience of raising Angulate (also called Bowsprit) tortoises, I have looked into the care of them and can give some advice.

First of all, can I ask which country you live in, and if this tortoise (or tortoises) will have both outdoor and indoor enclosures? Angulates are native to the southwestern part of Africa and do best in a hot and dry climate (although they can live with some humidity as long as it is warm). They do not do well if it is cold and damp, as they are somewhat disposed to developing shell rot if conditions are too damp, so it is probably best not to keep them on grass (which can get very damp), but preferably on a well drained, dryish, sandy soil -- but with provision of water so that they do not get dehydrated.

Regarding care, I have found the following care information:
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/The-Ang ... th-Africa/
and this sheet (which is similar to the sheet I linked to in your post about diet, but includes more information)
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/cangulatacare.htm

They should be fully grown at about 11 or 12 years. but I don't know the rate of growth. I assume that the rate of growth of Angulates is similar to that of other tortoises in that it can be highly influenced by how much you feed them. With all tortoises it is best ot aim for slow, steady growth, and too much food will result in rapid growth, which can cause serious health problems and shell deformities, so monitor their growth and aim for it to be slow.

I hope that helps, and we would love to see photos of your tortoise -- or tortoises. We do not see Angulates often in the UK, so it would be great to see some photos of yours!

Nina