Bit Concerned about new tort

Post your pictures and any questions here of European tortoises e.g. Ibera Spur Thigh, Ibera Graeca, Marginated, Hermanns, Kleinmanni and we include the Horsfield tortoise. Also, do add pictures of Mediterranean tortoises you have seen in the wild.
PhilBen

Bit Concerned about new tort

Post by PhilBen » 28 Aug 2023, 21:26

Hi, I am a bit concerned about our new tortoise Skippy. We got her last wed. After reading a few posts here i thought i should check with the forum. On 2 occasions i have seen a bubble come from her nose. She is approx 1 year old, her eyes seem ok. She is eating like a horse. She is moving around, however she does sleep quite a lot. I understand at her age they can sleep quite a lot. Her poo and pee are normal. Temp on table is 28-30 lamp end and 20-23 cold end during the day. Humidity ranges from 40 - 70. Any thoughts or suggestions ?
Phil
New to keeping a Tortoise

Nina

Re: Bit Concerned about new tort

Post by Nina » 28 Aug 2023, 22:13

Hi Phil,
I've sent you an email about this.

Nina

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 28 Aug 2023, 22:15

Thank you
Phil

Nina

Post by Nina » 29 Aug 2023, 09:01

Sorry, everyone, in case you are wondering what happened with this thread. Phil also emailed the same message to me, and I responded to the email. In case people are wondering what the advice was, here is a condensed version of three emails I have sent to Phil.:

Hi Phil,

Bubbles coming from the nose are always concerning, as they can indicate RNS (runny nose syndrome), which can be serious. RNS isn't a disease in itself, but is a term used to describe an upper respiratory tract infection that can have several causes (for example, chelonian herpes virus and mycoplasma). The fact that she is eating well and moving around is a good sign, and young tortoises do sleep a lot, so that might just be her normal behaviour.

Is it possible that the bubbles are coming from her nose after she has had a drink or a bath -- i.e. could she have got some water up her nose? If not then I would keep a very close eye on her for then next day or two, and if the bubbles keep coming then you would need to see an exotics vet. It's really important that it is an exotics vet because most ordinary vets have very little training in reptiles.

We have a list of recommended vets on our website: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tor ... s-by-area/ and I can see that there is one in Penzance, but I have no idea if they are near to you, and sometimes, depending on where you live, a vet in another county is closer than one in your own county. If you do consider going to that vet, please ring them before time and ask if they still have an exotics vet there, because vets change practices and we aren't always notified. If they are too far away, let me know and I will try and find another one closer to you.

Another thing to look out for is if she is opening her mouth wide more often than usual (not just like the occasional yawn that they do, but more often), as that could indicate she is having trouble breathing due to a respiratory infection. That would be very serious and she would need to see a vet a.s.a.p.

Is it possible to separate the two tortoises for the time being? It's just that RNS is quite contagious and if she does have that you don't want your other tortoise to come down with it. It's the reason why the standard advice is to isolate a new tortoise from an existing one for at least 4 - 6 weeks before putting them together.

Nina

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 29 Aug 2023, 11:23

Hi Nina,
I am giving one more day. I have just given her 5 min bath, She did blow a bubble x 2 when she woke up, but now thats stoped and eating like a horse. I did listen to her breathing and i could hear what seemed like a click every so often. not sure if that was her beak? I will watch her today and if she is the same tomorrow morning i will call the vet.
She seems bright eyed etc. see images
[attachment=1]IMG_20230829_111902.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]IMG_20230829_111923.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_20230829_111923.jpg
IMG_20230829_111902.jpg
Phil

Nina

Post by Nina » 29 Aug 2023, 11:39

She does look bright-eyed and alert, and hopefully the bubbles are nothing to be worried about, but it is good to keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if they persist, because respiratory problems can be very dangerous to tortoises.

Nina

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 29 Aug 2023, 12:54

Thanks so much for all your help, you're a star. I have kept her in doors today as Shelly is like a bull dozer and climbs over everything including skippy. That might also give her a break etc
Phil

PhilBen

Post by PhilBen » 30 Aug 2023, 09:43

Good News, No bubbles today with Skippy. Eyes Bright, Eating extremely well, spends a lot of time slepping under the lamp :D
Phil

Nina

Post by Nina » 30 Aug 2023, 10:59

Excellent news about Skippy -- hopefully the bubbles are gone for good!

Nina