2 Tortoises

Post your pictures and any questions here of European tortoises e.g. Ibera Spur Thigh, Ibera Graeca, Marginated, Hermanns, Kleinmanni and we include the Horsfield tortoise. Also, do add pictures of Mediterranean tortoises you have seen in the wild.
PhilBen

2 Tortoises

Post by PhilBen » 22 Aug 2023, 17:35

Hi, do you think a 4x2 table and 9x3 outside run would support 2 Hermanns Tortoises 1yr old ish?
Phil
New to keeping a Tortoise

Nina

Re: 2 Tortoises

Post by Nina » 22 Aug 2023, 22:12

Hi Phil,

I assume we're talking in feet and not metres ;) . In general the rule is the bigger you can make an enclosure the better, as tortoises like to roam over a large area, and they can get bored in small spaces. The 9' x 3' outdoor enclosure should be fine for a long time, but maybe when they are larger it would be nice if they occasionally could safely roam around the garden a bit, to have a bigger area (but obviously monitored). Your 4' x 2' indoor enclosure will also be fine while they are this small, but they really should have a bit more space when they get bigger.

I've always incorporated a second level in my tables, and I find that expands the space and gives the tortoises added interest and exercise. I feed mine on the upper level, so they are always running up and down the ramp to see if there are any treats up there for them. I used to have a 4' x 2' table and had a ramp up to a smallish second level in that one. I now have a 7' x 2' table with a second level and have attached a couple of photos of it.

It's really easy to put a second level in (just make sure that the ramp and floor of second level are removable for easy cleaning). The area below the upper level can serve as a sleeping area. The upper level in my enclosure is actually too big, so the dark space underneath is underused, so if I did it again I'd make it smaller).

Nina
[attachment=0]m_IMG_9496.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]Top level. Ramp just rests on wall.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]m_DSC00892.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
m_IMG_9496.jpg
Top level.  Ramp just rests on wall.jpg
m_DSC00892.jpg

PhilBen

Re: 2 Tortoises

Post by PhilBen » 22 Aug 2023, 22:19

What a lovely thing for your wife to do! Lol, if anyone had told you five or ten years ago that you would be completely obsessed with a little shelled reptile would you have believed them? :) Welcome to the club!

Unfortunately there is one small (well, maybe not so small) potential problem. You can't really keep one male and one female tortoise together. They would be OK while they are very young, but as soon as they become adolescents the male will just chase, bite and ram the female with his shell all of the time, trying to mate and bully her terribly. The general advice is if you want to keep males and females you either have to separate them or have two or more females to every male, so that one of the females can have a bit of a rest while the male is chasing the otherfemale. You can sometimes keep two males together (depends on the individuals), and you can usually keep two females together. I have heard of one or two cases where the tortoises were from the same clutch of eggs and a male and female lived together without too many problems, but I think that is the exception. The problem is that it's very difficult to accurately sex a tortoise until they are about 5 or 6 years old (as I think we mentioned when we were trying to sex Shelly). So you could have a go and risk it, but be prepared to separate them at some stage if necessary.

Nina
Phil
New to keeping a Tortoise