Tortoise not eating and has lost weight

Post your pictures and any questions here of European tortoises e.g. Ibera Spur Thigh, Ibera Graeca, Marginated, Hermanns, Kleinmanni and we include the Horsfield tortoise. Also, do add pictures of Mediterranean tortoises you have seen in the wild.
Amber10

Tortoise not eating and has lost weight

Post by Amber10 » 18 Feb 2022, 16:26

Don't know what to do😨😨😨😱😱

Nina

Re: Tortoise not eating and has lost weight

Post by Nina » 18 Feb 2022, 17:26

Hi Amber,
Don't panic -- it's probably something that can be fixed with a little tweaking. First a few questions:

Is he eating at all? How long has it been since he last ate? What kinds of food are you offering him?

Is he waking himself up in the morning and moving around and exploring, or does he want to sleep all day?

If he isn't eating, are you still bathing him in nice warm water every couple of days, so that he is well hydrated?

What is the temperature in his table, directly under his heat source, and at the height of his shell? You are aiming for it to be about 30C. You must measure it under the light at the right height. Also what is the wattage of your bulb -- I'm asking because at this time of year, when it's relatively dark outside, tortoises sense that, and if you can get him a brighter light -- or just an additional light (even one of those bendy desk lamps pointed into his table), that can help.

Sorry for so many questions, but your answers will help us determine what needs to be done to encourage him to eat again.

Nina

CritterMama

Re: Tortoise not eating and has lost weight

Post by CritterMama » 18 Feb 2022, 18:32

As always, Nina asked the right questions! One other thing I thought of - is there a favorite food that you know he really likes? Mine (literally) comes running over for hibiscus flowers or succulent leaves. Everything else, he kinda takes his time eating. Good luck! You're a good tort Mom for asking questions here.
Critter Mama

One Husband, one Bearded Dragon, one Panther Chameleon, one Labrador Retriever, and now a baby Hermann's Tortoise!