Baby Horsfield not eating

Post your pictures and any questions here of European tortoises e.g. Ibera Spur Thigh, Ibera Graeca, Marginated, Hermanns, Kleinmanni and we include the Horsfield tortoise. Also, do add pictures of Mediterranean tortoises you have seen in the wild.
DigiriblePlum

Baby Horsfield not eating

Post by DigiriblePlum » 24 Aug 2020, 17:39

Hi everyone - I'm a new tortoise owner so I might be getting too worried too early here but I'd like to see what people think
I've had my baby Orly for a little over a month now which'll make her about 4-5 months old. I have her set up in a table with the UV/heat lamp one end and a hide the other and up until the last three or so days she's been in a good little routine - waking up around 10am, tootling around her table and eating plenty, having a bask and a climb for a couple hours and then burrowing herself down (sand/soil substrate) for the night. She sleeps a lot which I figured was normal for a baby?
Temperatures at 32c under the lamp and between 18-20c in her hide at the other end.

The last three days though, she's pretty much not eaten at all and is just sleeping. Yesterday she tracked a bit of food between the dish and her hide but didn't really seem to eat and today she's not left her hide at all, food's untouched. I can't even tempt her with her nasturtiums, which are her favourite.
I put her in a bath yesterday and she woke up, had a little wander and a climb before going back to sleep but today when I put her in a bath she's just sitting there in her shell.

Like I said, I might be worrying too quick here! But with her being so young I wanted to check if there's anything I might be missing?

lin

Re: Baby Horsfield not eating

Post by lin » 24 Aug 2020, 20:35

Everything your doing seems to be fine with temps and what you are doing. If you would like to send us in a photo of the setup we maybe able to see a tweak or two that might make a differense but it does seem quite normal with the weather we have been having in the UK recently.
Have a read of this and if necessary make a few adjustments with the brightness of lights and do your best into fooling him into thinking its summer again will work.

Lin
Attachments
118227845_3247329395314704_3085155034660574589_o.jpg

DigiriblePlum

Post by DigiriblePlum » 25 Aug 2020, 19:04

Thanks! I'll try brightening the table up a bit and shee how he goes :)

lin

Post by lin » 25 Aug 2020, 19:44

Keep us posted if you can as its always nice to see the outcome.
Its not worth testing for worms yet unless they are visible or as a last resort especially at this late stage in the year.

Lin

DigiriblePlum

Post by DigiriblePlum » 28 Aug 2020, 20:14

Positive outlook so far! She's definitely eating again, less than she did at first but she's waking up a couple times through the day again as well :D

Nina

Post by Nina » 28 Aug 2020, 20:43

Excellent news, and thanks for the update!

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 28 Aug 2020, 21:14

:o Thats great news. Baby steps and I am sure she will eat more as time goes on.
Thanks for the update.

Lin

DigiriblePlum wrote:
> Positive outlook so far! She's definitely eating again, less than she did
> at first but she's waking up a couple times through the day again as well
> :D