Spur Thigh Behaviour Elderly

Post your pictures and any questions here of European tortoises e.g. Ibera Spur Thigh, Ibera Graeca, Marginated, Hermanns, Kleinmanni and we include the Horsfield tortoise. Also, do add pictures of Mediterranean tortoises you have seen in the wild.
HellsBellsMelons

Spur Thigh Behaviour Elderly

Post by HellsBellsMelons » 10 May 2020, 13:57

Hi All

I am a newbie here in need of some guidance and help!

I have a Spur Thigh (Toby), old as the hills. I was bought him way back in 1978 for my eighth birthday.
he has free roam of the huge garden and shared it no issues with myself and family. In the last two years something has changed, he is randier
and aggressive, head butting all and sundry be it me the plant pot. The head butting has got to such a stage that he will be out all day doing this, also he will not allow me in the garden. If I step outside of the conservatory he sees me and marches down at a pace, rearing up at the step. If I do happen to be pegging the washing out he mounts my feet or rams me. Now he has injured his neck on top at the back and had to be removed from te garden to cool down where by he improves in behaviour to clean the wound. What am I to do?

Nina

Re: Spur Thigh Behaviour Elderly

Post by Nina » 10 May 2020, 14:22

Hi HellsBellsMelons (sorry, I don't know your name), and welcome to The Tortoise Table.

Well, it seems that Toby is a real character, and it sounds like you've given him a great home for the last 42 years! As far as I know there isn't a lot that you can do about Toby's current behaviour, as he is acting like a typical randy male tortoise. Some tortoises species are rammers, some are biters, and some do both. Not all tortoises become aggressive as they get older (and most will start this behaviour at a much younger age), but quite a few do. I'm hoping that others will come in with some advice, but for the time being I definitely wouldn't go into the garden with bare feet -- especially with red nail varnish on your toes -- as they do make a beeline for that.

In order to preserve your sanity and avoid future angry encounters, is it possible to fence off a part of the garden for Toby that isn't near areas where you most frequently go? You can try just putting a long line of log roll down (although he might knock that down), or a row of breezeblocks or something similar? Just something to make a walled in area for him that will still afford him penty of space but not interfere with your family's activities. It would need to incorporate both sunny and shady areas, and hopefully he would adjust to the new, slightly limited space.

I do sympathise with your predicament, but be assured that his behaviour is normal, although it must be irritating for you!

Nina

HellsBellsMelons

Post by HellsBellsMelons » 10 May 2020, 14:29

Hi Nina and than you for the welcome.

I think I could cope with his challenging behaviour if it were not of the worry of his neck injury becoming worse. He really bled yesterday.. Poor man. I do love him.

Nina

Post by Nina » 10 May 2020, 14:42

Aww, bless him -- these sound like true battle scars. How did he hurt his neck? Do you have a good disinfectant or something similar that will help keep the wound clean until it heals (don't want danger of infection). He does sound like a very spirited chap! My Doris and Dolly send their best wishes, but they are very demure ladies and so would reject his advances! :D

Nina
[attachment=0]DSC01014 (Copy).JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
DSC01014 (Copy).JPG

HellsBellsMelons

Post by HellsBellsMelons » 10 May 2020, 14:52

Aww your girls are beautiful, and yes Toby would frighten the lives out of those two ladies! I am using hot water and salt them cooled with cotton cleansing pad fresh out the bag...Toby has shell rot in this picture, it hasn't got bigger or smaller so I guess they call it arrested? He had it when I picked him up from my parents.. [attachment=0]toby.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
toby.jpg

Nina

Post by Nina » 10 May 2020, 15:08

Oh my, he is handsome -- with such a smooth shell! I think your cleaning regime for the wound sounds fine -- just keep an eye on it.

I think that shell rot does look old, so nothing to worry about, and he is obviously thriving in your care (although he's obviously also desperate to go out clubbing on a weekend and pick up some nice little lady and bring her home!).

Does he hibernate in your garden or does he go into a box or a fridge (if you haven't heard of fridge hibernation, don't panic -- it's the most controlled and one of the safest ways to do it).

It's so nice that he has a really large garden! My garden isn't very large, but I still manage to lose mine several times a day (they are eventually found and I'm always amazed at how well camouflaged they are, because osmetimes they have been within a few feet of me and gone unnoticed.

Nina

HellsBellsMelons

Post by HellsBellsMelons » 11 May 2020, 12:49

Hi Nina, he doesn't hibernate now. About four years ago give or take he hibernated and came out in such poor shape he almost died. I took him to the Reptile Vet and he said under no circumstances should her hibernate again, which he doesn't now. The shell rot has worried me, however I can only imagine this is due to him living in a compost heap for the last 40+ years in my parents garden. Despite his unconventional home he has survived the harshest winters of the last 70's and early 80's..I too had a missing situation a few summers ago, he just disappeared. He was hiding and came out when the weather turned warm again. Gotta love them though. I inherited my Mums cat last November due to her going in to a Nursing home for Alzheimer's and the cat Emily doesn't know what to make of Toby she backs away!

Nina

Post by Nina » 11 May 2020, 15:12

Well, he's a real survivor, isn't he? Where does he stay in the winter (do you have a heated area for him indoors, with a UVB light)? It can be hard to find good food for them in winter, so I'm happy that mine hibernate, but it seems right that he shouldn't do that now if he had such a bad time.

Nina