Male or Female?

Post your pictures and any questions here of European tortoises e.g. Ibera Spur Thigh, Ibera Graeca, Marginated, Hermanns, Kleinmanni and we include the Horsfield tortoise. Also, do add pictures of Mediterranean tortoises you have seen in the wild.
EMD

Male or Female?

Post by EMD » 02 Apr 2020, 23:58

It may still be a bit early to tell, but I am thinking female? Anyone care to chime in?
Attachments
IMG_20200401_175536.jpg
IMG_20200401_175531.jpg

Nina

Re: Male or Female?

Post by Nina » 03 Apr 2020, 12:26

Hi End and welcome to TheTortoise Table,
What species is the tortoise and how old is it?
I agree that it is probably too early to tell, and many tortoises look female when they are very young. The anal scute has a fairly sharp 'v' shape, which could indicate female in some species but not others. Often the cloaca in a female is asterisk shaped whereas in the male it is slit shaped, and yours looks like it might be slit shaped but that could also be just a fold in the skin of the tail and would need a closer up photo of the underside of the tail to get a better idea. It certainly is a small tail, which would indicate female, but as I said above many species of tortoise (especially Horsfields) have short tails for the first few years and then the males' tails grow long.

Nina