Hi I'm a new tortoise owner.

Post your pictures and any questions here of European tortoises e.g. Ibera Spur Thigh, Ibera Graeca, Marginated, Hermanns, Kleinmanni and we include the Horsfield tortoise. Also, do add pictures of Mediterranean tortoises you have seen in the wild.
LettyG

Hi I'm a new tortoise owner.

Post by LettyG » 19 Dec 2021, 14:33

Hello, I've always wanted a tortoise since I was a child. My daughter and son in law surprised me for my 60th birthday, just a few days ago.
I would like to introduce Byron who's a Moroccan spur thigh. His breeder is super helpful, but I expect I will be bugging you all for information as I really don't know what I'm doing. Thankfully Google and the breeder have helped so far.
The forum here is wonderful, so very packed with information. [attachment=0]20211217_175731.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20211217_175731.jpg
Byron

Nina

https://www.hermannihaven.com/t-graeca-marokkensisa new tortoise owner.

Post by Nina » 19 Dec 2021, 15:23

Hi Letty and welcome to The Tortoise Table! What a lovely present for your daughter and son-in-law to give you -- I think it will be a very special Christmas in your house this year.

Byron is a very handsome chappy, and I can tell that you've fallen in love with him already. Are you keeping him in a tortoise table? It's so good that the breeder is there to give good advice, but I wouldn't rely too much on Google, as you will soon find out that there is a range of conflicting advice out there (it's one of the reasons we started our website and forum).

If you want to read a bit more about the Moroccan species of spur-thigh, here is some interesting information on a very good website: https://www.hermannihaven.com/t-graeca-marokkensis

And do ask loads and loads of questions -- that's what we're here for, and I always think that it's the best way to learn.

If you'd like to send more photos of Byron, then we'd love to see them (we never get tired of looking at photos of tortoises!).

In the meantime, my Doris and Dolly send their greetings to Bryon and wish him and you a very happy holiday season!

Nina
[attachment=0]turtsdancing.gif[/attachment]
Attachments
turtsdancing.gif
turtsdancing.gif (71.62 KiB) Viewed 7664 times

LettyG

Re: Hi I'm a new tortoise owner.

Post by LettyG » 19 Dec 2021, 21:59

Thankyou so much, he came with a wooden table habitat. It seems perfect for him. Although we did spend a frightening hour looking for him, that's when I found out he likes burrowing. :lol:

LettyG

Post by LettyG » 19 Dec 2021, 21:59

Thankyou so much, he came with a wooden table habitat. It seems perfect for him. Although we did spend a frightening hour looking for him, that's when I found out he likes burrowing. :lol:

Nina

Post by Nina » 20 Dec 2021, 08:33

Hi Letty,

That's great that he is in a wooden table, and you're right -- it will be perfect for him.

Lol, and yes, welcome to the stressful world of tortoises. We've all panicked multiple times, thinking our tortoise has somehow escaped or been stolen, only to find that they have completely buried themselves in the substrate. What sort of substrate are you using? I often think that my tortoises have caused me more anxiety than my son ever did when he was growing up!

I do hope that you and Byron have a lovely Christmas and a healthy and happy 2022!

Warmest wishes,
Nina

LettyG

Post by LettyG » 20 Dec 2021, 16:29

The breeder said to use a mixture of top soil and play sand. It seems to be a perfect medium for burrowing.
I hope you have a fabulous Christmas too. [attachment=0]20211220_090433.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20211220_090433.jpg

LettyG

Post by LettyG » 20 Dec 2021, 16:29

The breeder said to use a mixture of top soil and play sand. It seems to be a perfect medium for burrowing.
I hope you have a fabulous Christmas too. [attachment=0]20211220_090433.jpg[/attachment]