Best grasses for Sulcatas

This forum covers all aspects of tortoise diet and nutrition, including mineral and vitamin supplementation and foods appropriate for different species.
sulcata310

Best grasses for Sulcatas

Post by sulcata310 » 27 Mar 2024, 00:23

We intend to plant a small field of grass on my dad’s terraced garden (each terrace section is approximately 2x10 meters). The terraces drop two meters to the next. I fear they aren’t safe for grazing, even with supervision and a focused spotter.
However, they will do just fine for growing and harvesting feed. Once established, we may even pot some up in containers for snacking back home.

I am conflicted and overthinking which varieties of grass would be best for our 20 year old Sulcata.
I’m leaning towards Timothy Hay and Orchard Grass.
There’s also rye, wheat, maize, and oat grass.
My intent is to harvest for feed prior to going to seed.

**What would you suggest?

We also intend to plant a grazing garden for him, at home on the south side, where he may enjoy supervised basking and snacking.
Long term we want to build a secure, enclosed tortoise yard. That’s quite the venture, and first requires the removal of a three story black walnut tree.

I look forward to hearing your grazing crop suggestions.
I appreciate your time,

Jasmine

Nina

Re: Best grasses for Sulcatas

Post by Nina » 27 Mar 2024, 12:58

Hi Jasmine,

Thanks for contacting us, and it sounds like you've got great plans, and the space, to provide your Sulcata with a super diet.

As far as the grasses are concerned, I found a nice little list on The Tortoise Forum and I think any and all of these would be fine:

Buffalo grass (Buchloe dactyloides)
Bermuda grass (Cynodon dactylon -- which actually originated in Africa!)
Orchard grass (Dactylis glomerata)
Big Bluestem (Andropogon gerardii)
Little Bluestem (Andropogon scoparious)
Western wheatgrass (Agropyron smithii)
Blue Grama (Bouteloua gracilis)
Arizona Fescue (Festuca arizonica)
Lawn Fescue (Festuca arundinacea)
Sheep Fescue (Festuca ovina)
Creeping Red Fescue (Festuca rubra)

To that I would add:

Oat Grass (Avena sativa)
Wheat Grass (Triticum spp.)
Barley Grass (Hordeum spp.)
Rye Grass (Lolium perenne)

I would definitely steer clear of Alfafa, as that is too high in protein, and I think Maize might be too high in starch. You are right to harvest the grass before it goes to seed, as that would be too high in protein. I think your plan for a grazing garden is wonderful, as is the idea of snacking pots. You could just sow seed directly into trays, in succession (say every two or three weeks), so that as one tray of grass matures you've got another on its way).

I hope that helps, and it would be lovely to see a photo of your Sulcata (we never tire of looking at photos of handsome tortoises), and it sounds to me like you've got the space and have done the right research to provide him with an great environment, so he is one lucky tortoise.

Best wishes,
Nina