Grass, moss, and earth

This forum covers all aspects of tortoise diet and nutrition, including mineral and vitamin supplementation and foods appropriate for different species.
TortyPerson2

Grass, moss, and earth

Post by TortyPerson2 » 21 Sep 2023, 16:00

Hi all,

Gonzales (9 year old Mediterranean spur thigh) has been in his outdoor enclosure when the weather's been nice this summer. The enclosure includes two large trays containing turf with grass and some moss growing on it. I believe its unusual for this species but he loves grass and I just noticed that he has eaten all the grass and the underlying moss in one corner, leaving bare earth which it looks like he has managed to eat quite a bit of also. Is this going to be a problem? I'm concerned about impaction.

Thanks for your answer to this and previous questions.

TP
Attachments
20230921_161604.jpg
Bare earth corner

lin

Re: Grass, moss, and earth

Post by lin » 21 Sep 2023, 18:37

Oh my! What a beauty he is.
The grass and a bit of moss wouldn’t be harmful to Gonzales, some species that don’t usually eat grassed do take a liking to it. I know Nina’s two horsfields readily eat grass. 😂 , and I doubt the earth would be a problem either in the wild they would encounter it and if they felt the need they would have a nibble now and again and It doesn’t look like he is eating it on mass. Watch that he poops regularly to be sure it is passing through.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 21 Sep 2023, 19:00

Hi TP,

Sounds like Gonzales has had a good summer! I had my response all written and then saw that Lin had posted before me (so sorry if some of mine below repeats what Lin has said).

It's funny about grass, as Horsfields are known to not like grass much at all, but two years ago both of mine developed a taste for it and will happily nibble grass all day long.

It's a difficult question about the impaction. I think what probably will happen is that the soil will go right through him and come out the other end. And he might not have been eating soil as much as you think, because moving it around when digging etc. can make it look like some has gone when in fact it has just been displaced.

Keep an eye on him and make sure he is pooing regularly and isn't straining when he is pooing. Sometmes tortoises will eat a bit of substrate if they feel the need for more calcium or particular minerals. Does he have a regular calcium and vitamin supplement that you dust on his food? If I were in your place I would be asking questions too, but I'm sure he'll be fine (but do let us know how he gets on).

Cheers,
Nina

TortyPerson2

Post by TortyPerson2 » 21 Sep 2023, 23:19

Thanks Lin and Nina, that's reassuring. He does have a cuttlefish and we sprinkle calcium/D3 powder onto his leaves every other day. Is that enough? Anyway I'll watch to check he's pooing.

Thanks again,

TP

Nina

Post by Nina » 22 Sep 2023, 10:56

I think the supplements you are giving are fine, so just keep an eye on him and hopefully everything will be well.

Nina