Calendula Schmendula!

This forum covers all aspects of tortoise diet and nutrition, including mineral and vitamin supplementation and foods appropriate for different species.
CritterMama

Calendula Schmendula!

Post by CritterMama » 02 Mar 2022, 19:11

I planted some Calendula seeds (well, actually, first I planted Tagetes seeds because I didn't know there was a difference!) I doted over them until they sprouted, carefully planted them, put them under grow lights, watched them poke their little heads out of the soil, and gave them the best plant care I could. Heck - I even successfully fought off aphids that reared their ugly heads. I got several buds and watched them bloom into jaw-dropping gorgeous flowers! Eventually, I picked off 2 flowers; one for our Bearded Dragon (Ol' Stink Eye), and one for my baby Western Hermann's, Scoot. They each gave their respective flower a sniff and walked away! Wouldn't touch them! Jeez!

Fortunately, they both love hibiscus flowers with which I've had some success (albeit not grown by me from seed!)
Attachments
DSCN3443.JPG
DSCN3900.JPG
DSCN4002.JPG
Critter Mama

One Husband, one Bearded Dragon, one Panther Chameleon, one Labrador Retriever, and now a baby Hermann's Tortoise!

Nina

Re: Calendula Schmendula!

Post by Nina » 02 Mar 2022, 20:14

Lovely photos! And so glad that the tortoises were treated to a feast -- they do lead a charmed life, don't they? I hope they expressed their gratitude for all of your efforts.

Nina